LevelUp - IGDA Victoria Message Board › Name / Logo change?

Name / Logo change?

A former member
Post #: 20
I've been thinking about perhaps changing the name of the group (and/or the logo to match).

I kinda felt like working "Indie" or "Independent" into the title, but I also like the idea of going with something wild/zany/catchy/etc.

like... OrcaPod or LOS GAMEROS RANCHEROS or something. What do you think?
A former member
Post #: 4
I think most of us are "Indie". I like the idea of working that into the title.

It also looks consistent with the meetup in Vancouver.
"Victoria Indie Game Developers" and "Vancouver Indie Game Developers"

I think "OrcaPod" and "LOS GAMEROS RANCHEROS" are excellent names for events.
Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 9
I love how you take credit for my suggestion...
Anyways, I agree that Victoria Indie Game Developers is consistent... but kinda hard to make a logo for.
I will whip up some ideas tomorrow Andy and send them your way.

PS: Los Gameros Rancheros is a great name... but only when you ignore what it means.
Christer Kaitila (...
McFunkypants
Victoria, BC
Post #: 19
A funny name would be kinda cool - I love OrcaPod - but with meetup.com I think a lot of people are using search terms to find groups. Searches that will attract users will include words like game, indie and developer. The joke names won't get new users from searches - just insiders who already know us. Just one thing to consider.

Therefore, my humble vote would be for Victoria Indie Game Developers.

But that has no sillyfun factor...

If fun is all that matters, how about Vindieana Jones, Vindie City or some words that make up a cool acronynm like VIGOR, Victoria Indie Game Organised Resistance or VIGIL, Victoria Indie Game Intelligence Locators, etc. =)

The possibilities are endless.
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 25
I like Victoria Indie Game Developers. Sounds profesh.
A former member
Post #: 21
Yeah, it's definitely descriptive. I feel like it lacks flair, though :/ hard to market with a name like that!
Jacob S.
user 12331890
Palo Alto, CA
Post #: 1
toss indie in the name
descriptive is win.
Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 10
toss indie in the name
descriptive is win.

so like "Indie VDev's"?
I could go for that...
I also like IVGDG
Inide VideoGame Developers Group
not as good as IVGDA, but were not an association... so...

Also, Andy, why does it need to be marketable? are you planning on selling us off? because I will have you know... I am not for sale... er, um... I am not cheap!

Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 28
I kind of like

Victoria Game Developers

with VDEV as it's acronym, which we all know and love!

I don't know if it's truly necessary to label ourselves as Indie devs. Not that I have anything against Indie devs! But considering some of the VDEVs are full time game developers, and I know that I personally would be happy working in Indie teams OR large AAA games.

Just a thought.
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 25
Someone mentioned at the last meeting that perhaps we should not use the word "developer" in out name as it might scare off artists which we are sorely in need of.