LevelUp - IGDA Victoria Message Board › Name / Logo change?

Name / Logo change?

Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 11
Victoria Indie Game Makers!
A former member
Post #: 22
I think "Designer" covers all bases (you can design code, art, and sound...)

Victoria Game Designers?

I technically don't want to exclude board games (for example), because we share so much in common. :)
A former member
Post #: 23
Or how about something like:

Indie Game Designers

No real need for "Victoria" in there is there?
Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 12
Or how about something like:

Indie Game Designers

No real need for "Victoria" in there is there?

And we associate with eachother right? so how about
Indie Game Designer Associates... or IGDA for short :P
Christer Kaitila (...
McFunkypants
Victoria, BC
Post #: 22
Hmm IGDA sounds like a great acronym for a games industry group. Let's quick trademark that one before someone takes it. Heh. Since the Meetup group is LOCAL I think it should retain Victoria in the name. IS it Indie only? Certainly non-indies are welcome. Also, programming + design + biz all fit under the umbrella term "development".

With all that in mind, here's the BEST posible name for the group:

Victoria Game Developers

I propose that nothing we've come up with is an obvious improvement.
Perhaps "it ain't broke so why fix it"?
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 30
Hmm IGDA sounds like a great acronym for a games industry group. Let's quick trademark that one before someone takes it. Heh. Since the Meetup group is LOCAL I think it should retain Victoria in the name. IS it Indie only? Certainly non-indies are welcome. Also, programming + design + biz all fit under the umbrella term "development".

With all that in mind, here's the BEST posible name for the group:

Victoria Game Developers

I propose that nothing we've come up with is an obvious improvement.
Perhaps "it ain't broke so why fix it"?

This. I realize that that is already what it's called haha. But if we say it a thousand times and make some sweet logos than it will catch on and begin to be catchy.

EDIT: Catch on and begin to be catchy? What was I thinking?!
Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 13
Also, programming + design + biz all fit under the umbrella term "development".

From what Fieran said, Developer isn't an artist friendly word... and I would have to agree.
In all fairness, Designer and even Maker aren't all that artist friendly either.
Then again, the name itself doesn't have to invoke all of the elements that are involved in making/developing games anyways. What we do need to do is advertise ourselves better. Maybe making posters and putting them up in places people who might be interested would frequent (Game and Comic book stores).

I DO agree that Victoria is important to the name also, being a local group...

So, perhaps the problem isn't that we have a bad name so much as it is having a name that we are happy with enough to make proportional material for. The name doesn't have to say that we are artists, programmers, designers, and business people... the promo material can do that.
VIGM, VGM, VIGD and VGD are all good acronyms to work with, we really just have to pick one, and make some posters with.
A former member
Post #: 25
I think "Development" is a subset of "Design", and does indeed feel a bit more technical to the artistic types, so my vote is with Design :)

And though I am indie and I love indie, do we really want to exclude anyone working in the industry?

How about:
Vancouver Island Game Designers?

or

Victoria Game Design Club

Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 26
I like VI Game Designers or Victoria Game Designers. IGDA by the way is taken - ggj owns that
Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 14
I like VI Game Designers or Victoria Game Designers. IGDA by the way is taken - ggj owns that
I am aware, it was a joke :)

VGD and VIGD are both good. VGDC (containing GDC) might be a little hard to pull off... and I am not sure, but I don't think we qualify as a club... though I could be thinking of guild....