LevelUp - IGDA Victoria Message Board › http://www.videogamecoder.com

http://www.videogamecoder.com

Christer Kaitila (...
McFunkypants
Victoria, BC
Post #: 23
Just wanted to invite everyone to check out my non-profit, ad-free, no-login, just-for-fun newspaper for Indie Game Devs. It aggregates the RSS syndicated news feeds of 210 indie game dev blogs, with an additional section for mainstream news sources like gamasutra and the like. So far 398 game devs have posted 4479 articles as of Thursday March 10th.

Pure content: no banner ads, no flashy commercial crap, updated every 20 minutes.

videogamecoder.com

Any game developers who maintain an active game programming heavy blog are welcome to send me the link to their RSS feed and I'll include your posts. All clicks go directly to YOUR blog, not a subpage of the site.

Enjoy!
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 29
Saucesome!
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 32
Hmmm... I'm not 100% how RSS feeds work and all that. I have Pulse on my android. any idea how I might be able to add your feed to it?
Christer Kaitila (...
McFunkypants
Victoria, BC
Post #: 24
On Android you can most likely just use your browser to go to www.videogamecoder.com­ and the RSS orange icon will appear for you to click on the address bar, which will automagically subscribe to the feed in your "NEWS" app.

For Pulse (or any other newsreader) you can subscribe to:

www.videogamecoder.com/feed/

Or just click this: RSS

Word of warning: you'll get 50-100 posts per day. Looks like we're getting nearly 2000 posts a month. Sadly 1500 of those are from the mainstream press (gamasutra etc) which post the lion's share of the articles. I've had a few users request that I split the newsfeed into categories and that is on my todo list. I might eliminate all mainstream press from the site, but gamastura posts some wonderful gamedev articles... they are just very prolific.

I think an indie-only feed is more interesting and that would generate only about a dozen posts a day. For now, all that exists is the whole shebang, you have been warned. =D

Enjoy!
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 39
I could see an indie only feed as a cool idea. I'm sure the average person who would subscribe to this feed would subscribe to lots of mainstream channels as well. I think it makes more sense to offer a service which provides a potpourri of indie feeds :3

http://coltonphillips...­

Add my feed! :D
Christer Kaitila (...
McFunkypants
Victoria, BC
Post #: 27
Hi Colton,

Once you have 10+ blog entries you are SO in.

Post source code!
Game design rants!
Algorithms!
Biz articles!
Academia!
Screenshots!

Oh heck, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt: I added your RSS feed even though your blog is a newborn baby - pure tabula rasa, filled with potential, so to speak. Make us proud. =)

Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 40
I'll make you proud Chris!