align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 73
I don't know how many people here have heard of GottaCon, but it's an annual Victoria Games Convention. I've gone to it once, it has a heavy emphasis on board game, table top stuff. They also have competitions, other random shit. It's pretty cool. I think we should get a LEVEL UP booth or something for February to represent the Indie Game Community at the Con. When I went there was NO booths for actual video game stuff. The closest I remember is them having a PS3 set up for people to play demos on :P

Not really sure what we could do, but we should probably do something right fellahs?! :D Ideas?
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 74
Colin, thanks for the email.

We are always interested in new events and coordinators. What did you guys have in mind? Would you guys be interested in demoing some of your games on our LAN over the weekend? Would your members be interested in coming out to our convention and taking part in our LAN (bringing their own systems to jack in)? How many of your members are interested in coming?

When communities come to us as a group we often offer discounts on weekend passes based on number of community members that come out.

Let me know what you have in mind and we will work to make it happen.

--
Thank you,
Evan Hatch, Partner
GottaCon Conventions
email: ehatch(at)gottacon.com
A former member
Post #: 40
We got pretty far discussing things with them last year, but we didn't really have anything to set up. No booth materials, no computers worth bringing in, and nothing worth demoing on them even if we did. :/

We don't really produce much visible stuff as a community.

If we made our own Winnitron West, though...
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 75
Do Want!
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 76
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 44
I thinks we need to build Winniwest, or perhaps we should call it westron or victron, or even vanilstron - but yes that would make for a great booth and could be used as a fundraiser - charge a quarter to play old school and use the proceeds to fund our events?

F
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 77
Orcatron
A former member
Post #: 41
Vancouver has been trying to put one together for over a year now. Basic lack of skill, tools, materials, and money are holding them back, and I think we are worse-off. Does anyone here even have the faintest on how to start building an arcade cabinet? Even just the wood. I'm sure we can figure out the electronics.
Christer Kaitila (...
McFunkypants
Victoria, BC
Post #: 43
Vancouver has been trying to put one together for over a year now. Basic lack of skill, tools, materials, and money are holding them back, and I think we are worse-off. Does anyone here even have the faintest on how to start building an arcade cabinet? Even just the wood. I'm sure we can figure out the electronics.

A MAME box / arcade cabinet has been on my todo list for about 5 years, and in that time I've found blueprints and design specifications for several of them, so though I'm not that great with woodworking I can definitely supply some enthusiasm and know-how and plans and urls to suppliers for parts. It is all about the money. And TIME, even more so. This is a 100% guarantee of eventually being done - it is on my "bucket list" but it might take me a year or more. =)

The one primary electronics question is do we make a JAMMA compatible retro "real" arcade box with real arcade buttons and joysticks or is it a Windows/DOS/Linux PC under the hood?
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 78
I personally like the idea of having a kick ass arcade interface. Especially if we could get 2 or 4 player possibilities. :3

Perhaps we could talk to some businesses about sponsoring the machine to be kept in their store? Cherry Bomb Toys perhaps? To see if we could get sponsored?