addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

LevelUp - IGDA Victoria Message Board › What is your favorite game genre?

What is your favorite game genre?

Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 2
My personal favorite is probably the old school point and click adventure games.

-Day of the Tentacle
-Sam and Max: Hit the Road
-Full Throttle

I just love the storytelling.
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 1
I'm a sucker for star craft ... but I'm not sure I want to invest the time to learn how to play SC2
I also like puzzle games. Fantastic Contraptions which Andy has already mentioned is a favorite. I also liked Manufactora which Colin Northway pointed out to me at some point on facebook. Andy's game spacesquid had some really cool early iterations as well. For now though I am doing my own dress up game. Silly, lowest common denominator, but it is teaching me the basics of flash and is walking me through the polish process which I've never really had to deal with in any of my programming projects.

A former member
Post #: 3
I tend to like simulations and/or strategy games, but they are few and far between these days (one every 5 years?). So I'm not really beholden to a genre, in particular.

But a favorite game? Portal. For the storytelling. It was amazing.
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Lately I've been getting into Minecraft heavily. Best Indie game on the market for it's price I would say!
Andy F.
user 12624284
San Jose, CA
Genre?

Strategy for sure, I like 4X style strats a lot. And RPGs. I also like Jap RPGs *IF* they aren't too cheesy, the cheese kills it. Some western RPGs are also awesome.

Here are some of my all-time favorites, and you can never really be sure you have the all right picks, but here are some of mine I KNOW are in the list.

XCOM: UFO Defense. If you haven't played this you missed probably the best game ever made. There is just something about walking around a corner with just a few turn points left, and you find that freaking alien you have been looking for for 10 turns is RIGHT IN YOUR FACE as your turn runs out.

What about those bastards who cut your funding, and when you send a ship out to scout their territory, bam, ALIEN BASE found. At the end of the month they withdraw from the UFO pact, you can never get them back! Old school hard core strategy action perfection.

Master of Orion 1 - The original is unbelievably awesome, even today. I'm not sure it ever got beat in the 4x space genre for gameplay, even by MOO2.

Star Control II - Epic in a way that has never been beaten. Gameplay that has never really been copied. So unbelievably epic and fun its really impossible to pay this one the proper praise with words, you have to play it. Unbelievable!!

Final Fantasy X - Its like.... so freaking good. Seriously, I think its possible to take beef with this game but really its a classic work of art with engaging story and characters and everything you would expect from FF series. A personal favorite.

Other games I liked a lot:
Modern Warfare 1 / 2
Starcraft 1
Warcraft II
Warcraft I
WoW
Civilization III
Civilization IV
Grand Theft Auto series
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil 5
Fallout 3
Theres more, i'm cutting it off...
Andy F.
user 12624284
San Jose, CA
@Andy, I think Jessica Chobot likes Portal too :)

@Colton, Day of the Tentacle and Sam + Max were both suuuuper awesome
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
@AndyF I can't believe I didn't mention Fallout ... should I ever get a dog, I shall name him dogmeat
Andy F.
user 12624284
San Jose, CA
And I can't believe I didn't say Alpha Centauri. Geez, what an amazing game. The way I remember it, it still beats civilization in almost all ways.

Heres to hoping Civ 5 is unbelievable, or that they remake Alpha Centauri
Warren G.
user 12772656
Victoria, BC
Well there have definitely been some excellent games mentioned. For my part, although I have played a wide variety of games, its the MMOs that have sucked me in the most.

Dark Age of Camelot - hands down the best designed and most engaging Massively Multiplayer Game ever built in my mind. The reason: it built a destinct and very strong community on each of the 3 sides in the PvP conflict, as well as allowing players to choose to play in PvP or PvE modes. The game itself had problems without question, but the design was overall brilliant. I played this more or less religiously for about 3.5 years.

Star Wars Galaxies - the first version, possibly the most ambitious MMO ever designed. It had flexibility that allowed you to change your character class through gameplay at any point, it had an innovative character configuration system that hasn't been matched in any other MMO I have seen (and had problems mind you), a player-based economy in which everything your character could own or use was crafted by another player. It had non-combat game classes (crafters/merchants/entertainers/doctors­) who could engage in gameplay that was radically different from that offered by other MMOs, it had player created cities that appeared in the game environment (and not off in some special zone etc). The game has gone down hill immensely because the maintenance development team lost sight of the vision from the original designer (Raph Koster). Subsequent versions have been worse in most regards. I played this off and on for about 6 years.

City of Heroes/Villains - overall the best designed MMO game I have played, although its in a small niche of course. Very well thought out, very well designed, very well maintained, overall a brilliant game - but only if it suits your preferred game play. Hands down the best group combat system I have ever seen, in fact so good that the game is really not worth playing solo in my opinion, although I have played it off and on for 5 years or so.

I used to play a lost of PC games - all of the Warcrafts, Starcraft, Mast of Orion, Star Control etc - but gradually moved away from those entirely. I think its the community aspect of MMOs that attracts me primarily, sadly something that many modern MMOs are not focusing on in the same way as some earlier titles.
A former member
Post #: 8
Yeah, I'll cheer on all the examples listed above that I missed :) Pre-ordered Civ5 through steam!

I am also all about community, and love the concept of MMOs. Unfortunately, I can't stand elves/dragons/orcs/standard fantasy fare, and I hate grinding. The best MMOs are still freeform for me - MUDs and MOOs from yesteryear, and things like Second Life (if you avoid(/get into?) the sex stuff anyway).

To steal an idea from the other thread: Minecraft's multiplayer is probably the most fun MMO I've played recently. EVE online has a lot of promise in that regard, but I don't find the core mechanic fun.