Locksport International - Columbus, OH Message Board › Collection of locks?

Collection of locks?

Aaron B.
user 12542692
Columbus, OH
Post #: 1
Hi there...

So i'm wondering what sorts of locks you guys have to practice on. I had a generic chinese lock that i destroyed after picking it to death, and have gone through some Masterlock #3s..., a Kwikset handle (5-pin?), and some generic handle lock.... (You can have the #3s if you don't have them already... they're supposed to be good beginner locks, yes?)

Do you guys have the Masterlock #140, or some padlocks or doorlocks with security pins, and even ones where you know which pin is the security pin, and what type of security pin it is?

It would be interesting to have a general list of the locks you collectively have...
Bill S.
BillSempf
Group Organizer
Columbus, OH
Post #: 5
Hi, Aaron. I have 70 or so locks, ranging from Ilco and Kwikset that I have repinned for beginners to Abus and Abloy locks that aren't pickable by humans. And I am just one of us.

If you are looking for inexpensive locks, go to the restore habitat for humanity store on Westerville Road and check it out. Locks without keys go for a buck a piece. I just cleaned them out, so go next week.

S
Aaron B.
user 12542692
Columbus, OH
Post #: 2
haha - i was just looking on the lockpicking101 site and was going to ask about the restore habitat for humanity store.. - i think i must have seen one of your posts? i don't live far from there, so i will definitely check it out. thanks for the info, and if i'm able to make it to the next meeting, i'll be excited to get my hands on a lock with security pins. unless i get my hands on some before then. i take it they're open regular business hours?
A former member
Post #: 4
Must be nice. Our local habitat sells locks with no key for like $3-$5 each and that is qwickset. Lame!

Bill - Want to trade a weighted chain / manriki gusari for one of the beginner training sets pinned up to 5 or 6 pins? I can send pictures. :)
Mike H.
user 10154525
Columbus, OH
Post #: 5
I knew it...Travis IS a Ninja!!! biggrin
Bill S.
BillSempf
Group Organizer
Columbus, OH
Post #: 6
I'll do you one better. I'll show you how to make one of your own!

What is your local ReStore? Aren't you here in CBus? The one on Worthington ave usually only charges $0.25 per lock, but the charming young lady recently manning the front desk has been charging me $1.00.

S
A former member
I'll do you one better. I'll show you how to make one of your own!

What is your local ReStore? Aren't you here in CBus? The one on Worthington ave usually only charges $0.25 per lock, but the charming young lady recently manning the front desk has been charging me $1.00.

S

No...remember, I am up north. Well, I guess that is North of you. I am in Mt Vernon.
Aaron B.
user 12542692
Columbus, OH
Hey - so i've been checking out the ReStore and whatnot,

But the lock selection they have here is pretty limited - i've found a few cool locks here and there, but i'm kinda looking for something more challenging. Is there an easy way to find locks like a Best IC, or other more challenging locks in case i want to get some more practice on my own? I know you bring them to the meeting, but I'd like to have my own set of practice locks too. Or is it something that i just have to buy new. (Is it kosher to ask local locksmiths for stuff?).

-a
Bill S.
BillSempf
Group Organizer
Columbus, OH
Post #: 11
I have gotten the collection I tote around by either trades on LP101, ebay buys or business auctions.

You also might keep an eye out for security pins and repin your own!

S