Life, the Universe and everything Message Board › What is happening with our Meet Up group?

What is happening with our Meet Up group?

A former member

Hi all

Thank you for your comments. My apologies that I wasn't able to attend the last meet up.

I can see, based on the comments and feedback I've received about last Thursday's meeting, that people have a range of perspectives about how the meetings should be structured.

I am going to Nelson soon for a couple of months, to focus on various pursuits. While I am away, I would like to nominate someone to lead the meet ups. I feel that Ziggy would be the most appropriate person, as she has attended all meet ups since the group's inception. She is personable and open to a variety of perspectives. Ziggy, do you want to take on this role? I don't want to pressure you into it. It's just a suggestion.

I sincerely hope the group keeps going. I would love to participate again when I return at the end of March/ early April.

Please let me know your feedback, everyone.

Kind regards,

Gemma
Yeah R.
user 34443022
Auckland, NZ
Post #: 2
Hey Gemma,

I am keen to contribute as such but not sure what you want by feedback? (the big double-edged sword smile )

There seems to be the two main points, 'how meetings should be structured' and the 'nominate someone to lead the meet ups.'

If you are mainly after the meeting structure opinion I wonder if I (we) shouldn't wait till a leader is decided upon (or your proffered nominee accepted) then they can moderate that in a separate topic for the next meet-up?

Anyway either or, I can work with whatever (can offer opinion now or later). I just didn't want to be busting out a whole bunch of me, myself and I structure opinions when I should really be keeping my fingers shut as such.

warren
A former member
Post #: 9
Wendy and I were interested in the discussion about the future of the group at the last Meetup and the subsequent input from Ziggy and Gemma. I hope the Life, the Universe and Everything group keeps going from strength to strength. Given Gemma's">Gemma's offer to hand over the reins to Ziggy for the next few months, I would encourage her to take up the mantle and run it the way that appeals to her.

For those interested, Wendy and I have started a 'Deep and Meaningful Conversation Meetup Group - Auckland' based on the format we have organised/attended in Vermont, USA and Perth, Australia. We welcome anyone who would like to try that one as well. See http://www.meetup.com...­ for further details.

James.
Yeah R.
user 34443022
Auckland, NZ
Post #: 3
Hey James, the topic at your D&M looks to be interesting.

For me my main objective joining this 'meetup' thing was being able to participate in a regular discussion similar to that we had on the 26th January. Not necessarily to make a point or change the world but to participate in a forum that promoted or challenged thought.

On topic under the subject of this post I noticed Wendy took down some of the admin points made at the time. Would it be too much trouble to ask if she would be able to relay (or someone who was there who took note to remember) some of the 'meetup' frequency suggestions? So I had thought something like fortnightly was mentioned (but that may have been in reference to something else) as I was not part of that actual conversation I just overheard it so got in my head this might have been a fortnightly thing. But looking at the past meetups its more like a monthly event?

I guess by asking about the frequencies etc and time being a limited resource I am attempting to gauge what the average level of investment/interest is? Any correspondence on that would be appreciated.
A former member
Post #: 3
awww gonna miss you gemma
A former member
Post #: 10
Hi Yeah Right,

I suggested that fortnightly might be a good frequency based on Wendy and my experience hosting D&M Meetups and that seemed to resonate with others on the 26th. I'm not sure what Gemma or Ziggy wish to do re this. We decided to hold our D&M Meetups fortnightly, starting next week. James.
Ziggy
user 21419621
Auckland, NZ
Post #: 1
Hi everyone, I was not sure what to do about the next meeting, since there was a suggestion from Fiona to inquire about the Rationalist House as a venue and I never heard from her or from James and Wendy, who seemed to have taken the reins at the last meeting, again. So I did nothing, waiting for either of them to do some organizing.
I don't want to endlessly discuss venues and administration and at the moment I feel like waiting for Gemma to come back from Nelson and decide whether she wants to continue the group or not.
It's a pity that it looks like the group is falling apart, because it had such a promising and pleasant start before the last meeting.
I'm also a little disappointed that at the last meeting James and Wendy came swooping in, trying to take control and then left us high and dry when they realized there was criticism and opened their own group.
Such is life, Universe and the rest I guess...
Ziggy
A former member
Post #: 4
awww come on this is silly im not sure what happened at the last meet up but to me it sounds like James and Wendy were just trying to help, maybe they just had lots of cool/creative ideas and this meet up gave them the idea to start their own so that's good right! If you want i could book somewhere, id just have to ask if were allowed to hold a group thingy at where ever im calling right?
A former member
Post #: 12
Hi folks,

Wendy and I joined this group and attended the last meeting with the hope of contributing something worthwhile - we certainly had no conspiratorial intentions. Immediately after that meeting, I emailed Gemma who was the organiser for the Meetup Group (and the appropriate person to communicate with) to offer assistance and to look into meeting at rationalist house - either with her, or for her if she was too busy, on my own. Gemma did not reply. I decided to look into Rationalist House anyway, but found that it would not be suitable. It was certainly quiet which was good, but its location was less than ideal for people commuting and parking was problematic in that part of town. Also, there was nowhere to buy food, drink or even a cup of tea. The ambience was also not ideal. So I didn't bother pursuing that further.

I also read Ziggys comments about Wendy and I on this discussion thread. It seems that our attendance and contribution at the last meetup were not appreciated. When Gemma indicated that she wanted Ziggy to take the reins as she had other priorities to attend to in the immediate future, we felt there was no further role for us to play. Although we felt the group lacked leadership and the meetups lacked structure, any attempt to assist was either ignored (by Gemma) or viewed negatively (by Ziggy). Ziggy's most recent comments only reinforce that perception for me.

Wendy and I therefore decided to establish the Deep and Meaningful Meetup Group which very closely follows this group's stated objectives. Our first fortnighly meetup was held last night and it seemed to go very well. I will now resign from this group and contribute no further to the discussion. Our further involvement will not help Ziggy and Gemma acheive their aims. I wish them and all the members all the best for the futurew.

James.
Yeah R.
user 34443022
Auckland, NZ
Post #: 4
So... Are we free to click the 'Suggest a Meetup' button or do we wait for someone else?

Warren