addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Chelmsford Linux Meetup Group Message Board › Ethernet cable question

Ethernet cable question

Mary-Anne W.
mgwmgw
North Billerica, MA
Post #: 26
Arthur does not approve of wifi so we do not have it in our home.

I sit on the bed and use my laptop, and periodically Arthur has to
snip the end off the ethernet cable and put a new end on,
because I move around enough that the cable stops working
because I bent it too much. I think it is Cat 5.
I have looked up "hardened" ethernet cables online and one
can get them in quantities of 1000 feet for hundreds of dollars,
which is way overkill.

Does anyone know a solution other than WIFI so I don't keep
having trouble with the cable that does not cost hundreds?

Thanks,

Mary-Anne
Mark
M_Buell
Harvard, MA
Post #: 2
1: USB docking station/port replicator
1.a: USB network hub physically proximate to the usage point? I'd have to research this one, just an idea

2: Hard core DIY: Physically "harden" the termination - you know, like a water hose end that has a steel spring on it to prevent kinking. Possibilities include finding a spring with the same diameter as the cat 5, or several layers of duct tape at the termination. Your problem, I would think, would be the junction between the RJ45 termination plastic and the cable - there isn't enough physically there to attach an extension too. Maybe this could be addressed with plastic model glue and bits of plastic. Plastic model glue works by actually dissolving the plastic temporarily - so a join can be quite good.

3: Find a company that installs cable, and buys the hardened type you seek. Hit them up for a enough for a patch cable. Maybe they'll swap for a six-pack of local microbrew.