The Austin Linux Meetup Message Board › Linux + Certification

Linux + Certification

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi every one...
I am a 3rd qtr student attending ITT-Tech Austin campus. It is my goal to have the Linux + Certification by my 8th qtr. I need to hear from everyone on what it takes to get the certification, which are the best books ect...
Any good usable advice, or if anyone has already passed it mentoring would be very appreciated.
Thanks for your time
Rebel
A former member
Post #: 1
Well I've never taken the Linux+ but I would recommend having adequate experience. I have an RHCE which would have been impossible to pass if I hadn't used Linux for a while. In the end certifications are just for HR people. Once you interview with some actual technical people you'll need that experience to back you up even if that experience is just you messing around on your own.
Bob C.
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 5
I'm going to agree with Seth, above. I recently studied for and passed the CompTIA Linux+, which - for me - was not an easy task. It's not that I didn't prepare, it is that I didn't have the 1-2 years (or so) of hard-won experience. I do have 4 boxes that I am into, and about 20% of my job description is maintaining a Linux server with 12 workstations. Plus, I'm a webmaster, so I'm into Linux a fair amount. I also spend a fair amount of time on test boxes.

The bottom line is that without the experience, it's hard to know all the implications of the questions that are on the exam, and be able to have a good sense of what's the correct response. The lingering impression that I took away from the test was:

• Learn as many shell commands and options as possible. Not only the general ones, such as file & directory stuff, but also the configuration stuff.
  • Try to go through the configuration steps for as many services as you can: Samba, NFS, DNS, Apache, etc. Pay attention to what's in the 'corners'.
  • Use as many of the resources as you can that are listed below.
  • Try to take as many practice tests as possible. Take them until you know them cold.

As I prepared for the test, I took and kept good notes from all my resources. My Linux+ notes and resources are posted online, and you are welcome to use them all you want. The first page lists the resources that I used, in the order that I found them useful. The IBM tutorials were excellent. Even after all that, I was amazed at how many questions on the test seemed so foreign. Good luck.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you guys....I need teh certification to help with the lack of field experience. I will be 40 at graduation and need every edge I can get.