The Austin Linux Meetup Message Board › Looking for new hosting service

Looking for new hosting service

Jason N.
user 4645363
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
I'm looking for a new provider to host my personal domain name. I currently use eHostPros, which look like they're going to be tough to beat, at $35.88 a year. They are a spam portal from hades, however; I've long since stopped reading anything that goes into that mailbox -- I just download it so that it doesn't clog the server and freeze my email.

I'm tired of sifting through spam. (in fact, I don't even bother anymore.) ... but I can't bring myself to just delete mass amouts of spam because of that one message that I seem to think is out there. The real one, from a real friend, who is trying to contact me. My best temporary solution is to use greylisting. I can live with the prospect that anyone that doesn't reply to a test email won't be let through. ( Because then it becomes their fault. hehe ) eHostPros, however, doesn't do greylisting. So, I want a provider that does.

Does anyone know of a provider that provides greylisting (and hopefully linux web hosting)?

I do run linux, so I could, in theory, set up greylisting for myself; in fact, that's exactly what I might do. However, I don't really need the headache of having the capability of crashing my own email / web site and/or having to keep it up and running in a safe and secure configuration. And there might be problems with my provider blocking me if I were to try to host my own email server. ( I use SBC DSL )

Anyone have any thoughts? Hey, maybe we could make it a group project to set up an Austin Linux email server? ( Ok, reaching, there... )
Bob C.
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 13
Spam is undoubtedly a pestilence. I happily remember a short period of time when there were only items in my mailbox that I expected. Those days appear to be gone, hopefully not forever.

The place where I work uses greylisting. It's relatively effective, but it has drawbacks. There are sometimes long delays in the mail arrival. For instance, if you purchase something online that will send you a key or download link, the email may take a while to arrive. We've had problems here in the department where I work receiving email because it's had from 4 to 24 hours delay (at times). There is also a limit to the amount of time that a particular domain is 'whitelisted', which is set to about 72 hours for us. I would assume that all of this can be configured, but we (at this level) have no input or control, hence we're stuck. If you can get some form of control or input into the system, it may work well for you.

I have a friend who is a hosting/domain reseller. He had a system where he set up an email server to download email for any of his customers that wanted his spam service. He used SpamAssassin, and kept it well updated and configured. The downloaded email was filtered on his server, and his clients were set up to retrieve email from his server, not their own. His system was working well, and he had several satisfied clients. SpamAssassin has some good points, is extremely configurable, and is open source. Also, it's like anything else in the open source/Linux realm: you proceed at your own risk. Ultimately, you're responsible for yourself and your own configuration.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but it is my experience. I receive well over 1000 spam emails per day, and I've become calloused and hardened to it. It's probably true, I am likely missing 'that one email' from time to time. But if it's that important, everyone I closely know understands that email is not a guaranteed communication medium, and there's no substitute for a phone call when it comes down to an important communication.
Chris N.
chrisnystrom
Austin, TX
Post #: 135
Let Google handle the e-mail for your domain. It is easy and they do a good job of handling SPAM:

http://www.google.com...­

Chris
Jason N.
user 4645363
Austin, TX
Post #: 5
I'll look into google. Didn't know that they offered that kind of service.

In the meantime, I found something called Mail Cleaner. Anyone familiar with it?
( http://www.mailcleane...­ ) ... I can't figure out how the darned thing is supposed to be set up.