addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Austin Linux Meetup Message Board › April Meeting Notes

April Meeting Notes

Bob C.
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 20
The April Austin Linux Meetup meeting was focused on the different distributions of Linux. By and large, we tended to stay on topic, with a few healthy diversions. The distributions that we discussed are:

One of the keys to staying up with distributions is DistroWatch.

We also discussed email (spam) problems and solutions, as well as firewall and security concerns (Astaro, BackTrack, & IPCop).

Honorable mentions:

• Recommended Linux wireless cards: Intel, Trendnet
  • Recommended Linux video cards: Intel, Nvidia
  • Recommended Linux system manufacturer: System 76
  • WINE: Windows Is Not Emulator
  • System Rescue CD

A former member
Post #: 10
Forgot
Puppylinux
www.puppylinux.org

It is one of my fav's since it loads up quick and runs in ram.
Supports a lot of legacy stuff..

Contact me to get this going on a USB. Great for hacking/trouble shooting/repair

As for the TrendNet, check this is what one of the many gadgets..
http://reviews.cnet.c...­
There is a version of this with memory included.. so imagine booting up with puppy then surfing on any system, even if the network is blocked.. use a local floating Wi-Fi ;-)
A former member
Post #: 16
Ideas for future meetings;
1.) Everyone bring a copy of your favorite Distro to hand out and show. Quick explanation on why it's your preference and advantages to using it.

2.) Bring your system and details of a problem you are having in configuring / setting up in Linux. 15min limit to discuss depending on size of group.

If anyone would like to keep in touch feel free. Contact info bellow.

My interests and what I might give insight to;
Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, SDL, Elive & EliveCD, portable Linux (linux hacked on Palm and other devices)
Linux w/ "Eye Candy" - Compiz / Beryl
Have been involved with Linux groups on Meetup.com & Cactus

Disclaimer; ;-)
I am not a Linux guru but someday would like to be.

--