addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Austin Linux Meetup Message Board › Ubuntu Defeats Vista

Ubuntu Defeats Vista

Bob C.
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 26
I bought a laptop last Fall that I like a lot. It's a sleek HP with an extra battery built into the case. When I was in the process of making the purchase, I took in a Knoppix CD and successfully booted the machine to verify that it was Linux capable. Thanks to Knoppix, I was positively impressed and confident that I could get Linux up and running with little effort. However, after the purchase, my aspirations came down quickly.

The laptop is typical of a recent trend of manufacture that has lots of hardware and drivers that are made for Windows Vista only. After about two weeks effort, I could not find or get Linux to load several hardware drivers. Finally, in frustration, I gave up and resigned myself to Vista.

Today, at the May Linux Meetup, that changed for the better. After I successfully loaded Ubuntu, I got the last of the rogue drivers into place. The entire laptop is working, and with very little effort on my part: it came together in less than two hours. I'm wireless, working at full video capacity, and more. I'm ecstatic. Many thanks to the May Linux Meetup Installfest and all the people who work to maintain the Open Source way of life. biggrin
A former member
Post #: 4
are you sure everything works, if so, then im happy for you. biggrin