The Austin Linux Meetup Message Board › Creating a RAID ARRAYngement

Creating a RAID ARRAYngement

Bob C.
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 32
If you're as paranoid as I am about data loss, you're always thinking about what can go wrong. One popular method of prevention of data loss at the hardware level is with a RAID array. In essence, the RAID array uses two or more hard disks to create what appears to be one partition. The data is then protected by one means or another in case of the failure of one of the hard drives. RAID comes in two basic flavors: hardware based and software based. There are further RAID levels, which depend on individual need as well as the hard drive availability and use.

I recently set up a software RAID array on my Linux box at home that is working wonderfully. I followed a RAID howto on www.linuxhomenetworking.com that made the process easy and smooth. In fact, the Linux Home Networking website has several howtos and articles that are extremely useful.

Also at heart of the process is the mdadm (Multiple Disk ADMinistration) command. The command is rather complex, but the explanation given in the article mentioned above covers enough of the basics that the first-timer can set up the RAID array from the command line with little or no problems. I'm not completely free of "data loss paranoia" at this point, but I do feel like I have a fair insurance policy with the RAID arrangement. cool