The Austin Linux Meetup Message Board › What do you want to talk about at the next meeting?

What do you want to talk about at the next meeting?

Closed to new replies

Bill S
user 9248335
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
I can volunteer to talk about the following topics if anyone wants me to:

* hacking with phidgets (http://www.phidgets.c...­) and arduino (http://www.arduino.cc...­)
* HTPC build + choices of software
* shell scripting
* C programming
* intro to auto-tools (automake / autoconf / libtools)
* simple audit, hardening
* basic SSH tutorial
* boring server stuff (php, sql, apache, etc.)
* basic encryption with device-mapper / whole-disk encryption
* build your own inexpensive RAID-5 filer

Suggestions?
Bob Carnaghi
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 53
Puddles:

Thanks on this. I appreciate the fact that others will "step up to the plate" and help provide topics. There are several items in your list that I'd love to hear about. I think #1 for me at this time is the encryption topic. I'd like to explore the ways to encrypt various items: drives, email, files, etc. However, I'd also like to see if others will post here what they'd like before we make a decision...

Thanks, let's stay tuned...cool

Bob
Reagan Cardwell
user 7650333
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I would like to second Bob's suggestion. There are several other topics that I'm interested in, but encryption is a good place to start. So, I'll vote for encryption.

I gather from some of the comments made at the meetup, that HTPCs would be another topic of interest for some. I've built a couple, using MythTV, but I'm always looking for new information and suggestions. So, that's my second choice.
Marvin
M-Buck
Pflugerville, TX
Post #: 3
I just wanted to say hi. I am a rookie with Linux but I support it and love to promote it. One of these days I will make a meeting.
Just letting Bob know that I read all the emails that come my way, not a "ghost" member, but one that is watching off to the side.
thanks
A former member
Post #: 1
Encryption sounds great to me, as well. Also, using the "auto" tools is an intriguing idea..especially since I am "still" wanting to build my own distro someday...remember, Bob? :-). Something for the future might be setting up wireless - resources for certain kernels and machines, as well as walkthroughs..especially since laptop support is still "iffy"...

Thanks!

Chana
A former member
Post #: 2
If anyone knows anything on getting wireless to work using SLAX 6.0.9 (I believe is the latest) would be a hero to me ^_^
Bob Carnaghi
bob_carnaghi
Austin, TX
Post #: 54
Ben et. al:

Bring it to the next meetup. I'm closing this discussion, based upon the current input. Encryption and related subjects will be the topic at the May 2009 Linux Meetup.

Bob cool