addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Austin Linux Meetup Message Board › Austin, love to hear your take

Austin, love to hear your take

A former member
Post #: 2
I'm taking a short trip to Austin next week (12/20-12/24). It's a leisure trip mostly, as my brother and I will be visiting friends.

I've got the bug, and I am thinking about moving to Austin in a year or so. I want to get started on my search, and I want to see if it is the right town for me. I am a die-hard linux user, and I have found a lot of professional uses for my skills including software development, some server management, and freelance media production, which has lately been more of a Mac thing than Linux. Lately I have been doing a lot of work in Flex & Coldfusion development.

In the long run, I am interested in digital video software design, but I need time and experience. I am curious what the tech environment is like in Austin. I have had good luck in Chicago, but I was born and raised in Chicago, so my connections are more numerous and have room for a lot of variety.

I'd love to hear what people are doing right now. What the demand for linux enthusiasts is, and what is required for experience or day to day tasks. I have a couple informational interviews setup and I am attending two meetups so far (other groups, unfortunately); I'd appreciate anyone's recommendation for the career window shopper, as I appear to be at the moment.

Thanks, Trevor E.

linkedin.com/in/trevorewen­