London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Pogo Cafe could use your support

Pogo Cafe could use your support

A former member
Post #: 35
Hiya,

One of my favourite places to go for veggie food is Pogo Cafe, in Hackney. They're struggling for money and may have to close so thought I'd post here just to let people know about the place.

Here's their appeal for help:

http://www.pogocafe.c...­

Here's what Pogo Cafe is about, from their website:

"Pogo Café is run by a Voluntary Workers Co-operative who took over the lease of the café from Pumpkin’s vegetarian restaurant in 2004. Since then, we’ve been providing delicious vegan food and a space for alternative culture, actively promoting veganism and co-operative working, and providing a positive alternative to the unyielding dominance of mainstream capitalist culture. We strive to use organic vegetables, tofu, grains and beans, which are fair trade and locally grown, and bake our bread and ALL of our delicious cakes!"

-Phil
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Phil,
Thanks for posting this- I probably wouldn't have seen it othyerwise. I've contacted them to contribute- I love this place and hope added help will help them out of their current difficult period.

Erika.
The Stick M.
user 12166808
Osaka, JP
Why are they going broke (again) ?

Summer time is always a quiet time for most restaurants, especially ones based on cooked menus.

They never really did no much of a selection of summer time salads/dishes, did they?

I fear what they really need is a business consultancy rather than donations, how ever well intended and kind that is!
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 43
There's a London Vegetarian Meetup visit­ to Pogo Cafe on Sunday 19th June 19 at 5pm, I'll try to muster London Volentians to pay a visit too.
A former member
Let's not criticise, let's try to be supportive. It's not a business, nobody gets paid. Pogo's having an open collective meeting this week - if you have any positive suggestions for improvements please post them here or email the cafe via their website. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.
Sarah
user 8187562
London, GB
No wonder the place has gone broke, they don't run it like a business so of course it isn't even going to break even. They bang on about their organic locally grown ethos but Linda McCartney (whose sausages they use in the breakfast) is owned by an American multinational that sells meat. That's doesn't really match what they say!

Yes Lucas, but let's try to be positive, there are many wonderful aspects of Pogo and I am sure we all agree we want it to stay.
Lia
liey
London, GB
Post #: 2
"Lucas", you haven't even had breakfast at Pogo so you would have no idea what sausages or other foods are being used for it!
You can spend some of your free time helping Pogo's finances and 'business plan' if you'd like to do something positive instead of just criticising?
Very disappointed to see this comment from you.
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 48
I think unless your views are those of someone fairly well-informed, they should be kept to yourself, especialy if what you say is likely to put people off an entirely vegan establishment such as Pogo! I think we need to show enough loyalty towards our fellow vegans to at least refrain from doing damage to the reputation of such an initiative.
Unfortunately Pogo is just so far away from me, it seems all the best things happening for vegans are at the other end of London from me, *sigh*...
If you want "business plan" type advice, I have recently met a recently-retired vegan who used to teach business and IT at a local 6th form college, she is one of the most efficient and well-organised vegans I have met so do let me know Lia if you would like me to approach her about getting any advice for you and your cafe.
Lia
liey
London, GB
Post #: 3
Lucas, you have never even been to Pogo except briefly when it was closed. I don't know why you are bothering to slag off something you don't know much about at all. It's just unnecessary negativity that doesn't do good for anything. It certainly isn't going to get us any closer to animal liberation, we need to support the very few totally vegan places in London - and the country.