London Vegan Meetup Message Board › RSVPs and attendance

RSVPs and attendance

Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Thanks to everyone who came to Pogo yesterday. It was great to meet some new faces, and catch up with familiar ones, while enjoying great food and drinks. I definitely recommend the knickerbocker glory...

But it was very disappointing that, despite my email to attendees earlier in the week asking them to make sure their RSVPs were up to date, more than half of the people who had said they were going didn't show up.

This inconveniences those on the waiting list (who could have gone otherwise), it deters Event Hosts from organizing future events, and it hurts restaurants who have saved us space that we don't use - which can make them reluctant to take our bookings in future.

It's much the same scenario when someone changes their attendance from "Yes" to "No" at the last minute. It's invariably too late for the Event Host to change the booking. And while another member will often be moved up from the waiting list automatically, they may not get the message in time to actually attend - which can unfairly make them look like they're the "no show" (when really they're an victim of circumstance).

Ultimately this affects everyone. I've heard of one or two other groups that have been banned from restaurants because of people not turning up to their events. In the end, they stopped organising those events. Let's not have that happen here...

We're not keen to implement anything like the "three strikes and you're out" policy that some people have suggested, nor to start charging people to attend events. And underbooking, with the associated risk that some people may not get a seat, doesn't sound like a solution either. But we can't keep going to restaurants with less that half the number of people that we've booked for.

Therefore, for the benefit of everyone, please, please, please turn up at an event if you say you're going to do so. Or give someone else a realistic chance to take your place - by changing your attendance well before the event.

Many thanks,

Robb

London Vegan Meetup Group Organizer
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 105
Whilst I know that it can be easy to sign up for everything, such that Yes RSVPs get overlooked (I'm often a 'maybe', so apologise if I forget to cancel), I can't agree more with Robb that we all need to try to attend wherever possible, or update our RSVPs in a timely fashion, especially if there's a waiting list and booking (People who've attended my events will know that I avoid booking wherever possible, and try to keep timing flexible).

Unfortunately, sometimes people can't find venues, so please double-check before leaving, if you're unsure. It's worth planning your journey in advance (see http://www.tfl.gov.uk...­ or http://traveline.info...­, and checking for disruption, so you're not too 'fashionably' late :-)

Also, can hosts please ensure venue entries contain as much (accurate) information as possible (bearing in mind that they are public, so shared with all Meetup users), and use existing ones, so as not to create duplicates. Try to get the maps accurate, as the Micro$oft Bing ones are often wrong (Google Maps fare better!), sometimes, just adding the venue name at the start of the address is all it takes.
Brian
user 3591155
London, GB
Post #: 5
Today I've had I've had 10 changes from "Going" to "Not Going" for tonight's meal at 222. Why does it take people til the last minute to decide whether they can make it or not? It's not as if it's snowing out there!

At one point we had 25 booked in and 10 on the waiting list. Now I have only 20 booked and none on waiting list.

I think that late responses and non attendance may put people off organising events in future.

In fact I was considering organising a meal in January but am now having second thoughts.

And to those who are coming to tonights meal at 222, I look forward to seeing you there - it should be a great event as always.

Brian
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 70
Can I put up a quick reminder to members to always check out the Suggested Meet Ups as well as the ones on the main list, as they only get announced once they have 3 yesses, and there is one that sounds lovely, a short break over Easter is listed on the suggested list but nobody's replying cos I guess they've not seen it yet (not going myself but it would be a shame if it didn't get announced in time for ppl before everyone has made other arrangements!).

We're not allowed to do fake yesses just to get 3 yesses to get things announced, I've just been told (although in fact I always change my reply and do not tend to be a no show anyway).

~Lesley~
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 131
Cheers Lesley, I always try to look at suggestions (and, as you know, also used to make 'fake yesses'), but sometimes it's easy to overlook them - which is why I allow the option to immediately announce on the Surrey Meetup.
A former member
Post #: 5
Given that no-one bothered to RSVP to my suggestion of a trip to Cornwall over Easter, I have now cancelled it from the suggested meetups.
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 73
I am very sorry to hear that Mark, I am sure some ppl would be interested, had they actually been aware of your plans.
As you may know I have criticised the organisers here for not announcing things such as your event, it's hardly difficult for the organisers be more helpful in that way and I always try to be pro-active on the Vegetarian Meet Up on this matter even when other organisers are not!
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 74
PS, and if anyone is interested I still have Hugletts workday up as a proposed event, anyone remotely interested in a Saturday workday there helping out, maybe in March or April, can reply as a yes, even if you change it later (although the completely fake yesses are not acceptable with Robb, so don't get yourselves into trouble like I did!).
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 132
Sorry to hear that Mark... I'll be a 'maybe' Lesley...
A former member
Post #: 45
The human condition called apathy is everywhere and being vegan does not make you immune from this. The higher moral standard from the older generation never canceled unless they lost an arm or a leg or were seriously sick. I was organizing meetups at one time and the same people would cancel over and over again possibly 50% attendance.......it is not a good sign if you can't change your RSVP or you cancel last minute time and time again. You have a responsibility as a human being to be honest and fair to others and if your Vegan it should be a given because we care for all. Get a grip, we only have each other.. I never cancel if I say yes......Don't say yes if your not committed.....sorry rant, just reinforcing my own position. :)