add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan travel

Vegan travel

user 31430142
Oslo, NO
Post #: 6

I will soon be visiting Barcelona and it will be my first time there, and abroad since becoming Vegan. I would really appreciate if anyone has any recommendations for the area or traveling as a vegan in general.

Thank you
user 23475421
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hi Rebecca

That's very exciting you are going to Barcelona, it's such a gorgeous city and fortunately has lots of vegan places to eat! I went over there with 5 friends a few years ago and these were my favourite places to eat (you'll need to check Happy Cow to see if they are still open - http://www.happycow.n...­)

Dhamma Bar Vegetariano
Barcelona vegan restaurant, became all vegan in 2008. Also has raw food dishes. Mon-Sat 13.30-16.00

Illa de Gracia
Extensive menu. At Illa de Gràcia, a two course meal for 2 with drinks & dessert is around 30 euros. Lunch menu is around 7 euros. No smoking. Tue-Fri 1-4 & 9-12. Sat-Sun 2-4 & 9-12, closed Monday.

Juicy Jones
Vegan restaurant Barcelona. Offers a special meal of the day that includes a soup with bread, a sample plate various small vegan dishes, and a dessert. Also serves seitan, tofu, vegetable sandwiches, salads, soups, desserts, juices, teas. Colorful, funky atmosphere. Also a larger location on Hospital Street. Open daily 10.00-24.00, closed Monday.

Organic - Boqueria (I like that this is next to the market!)
in the large Boqueria Market on La Rambla and Boquria St. Restaurant is in the very back. Open daily 12.30-24.00.

Organic - Xucla (When in Spain!)
Vegetarian tapas bar. Open daily 12.30- 24.00.

There is an incredible fruit and veg market in the centre of Barcelona, where you can get loads of treats, it's definitely worth a visit! http://www.boqueria.i...­

If you don't have one already, I would buy a vegan passport: http://shop.vegansoci...­

Here are some photographs of places of interest in Barcelona:­

Have a great time! :D

Feltham, GB
Post #: 23
Hello Rebecca,
When ever I go for a trip I always check happy cow first.
You will find there restaurants in many places around the world. I tried to search for vegan restaurants in Barcelona but it seems like happy cow is very slow today. I found you another website with a lot of info
Have a nice trip.
Emma P.
user 12547470
London, GB
Post #: 8
I lived in Barcelona for 6 months last year and had no problems with finding vegan food. I created this little map with veggie + veg-friendly restaurants on it. Sorry there are no descriptions of the individual places but depending on where you're staying you can see what's convenient.­

The fruit was so so good and amazingly cheap. I gorged myself on peaches, watermelon and cherries throughout the summer!
A couple of my fave places to go were

-"Juicy Jones" (they have 2 restaurants), where there is a cheap set menu with 3 options daily, and fabulous smoothies and shakes.

-Gopal- for an unhealthy option! They do a huge range of homemade burgers, complete with all sorts of toppings and sauces. You'll also find Lujuria Vegan cakes there which are NOT TO BE MISSED. Their carrot cake is to die for or if you're more of a chocolate girl, my friend swore by their chocolate mousse cake.

- Abissinia for Ethiopian food. I went to this place with the Barcelona vegan meetup and we had delicious injera with a whole range of scrummy veggie and lentil toppings.

-Gelaati! They do vegan ice cream- enough said.

Hmmm where else did I like...Well if you're doing your own cooking or just want to pick up a few bits for snacks or light meals then the Veritas chain of health food shops are all over the place, and although a little expensive they have most stuff you could need. My fave health food shop- a really big and all organic one was Biospace.

Oh, and I'm guessing you're just there for a short time but if you are staying longer and doing your own cooking then there's a fabulous place where you can buy grains, nuts, dried fruit, spices in bulk, called Casa Jaime.

Anyway, you should be able to find these places in the map linked above.

Have a wonderful time, Barcelona's a great city :)

One more thing..If you don't know Quarry Girl. This is a link to her old blog where she posted loads of helpful reviews of restaurants all around the world. http://archives.quarr...­
user 31430142
Oslo, NO
Post #: 8
Seriously, you guys are AMAZING! To have spent such time, writing long and detailed messages I am truely thankful.

I had checked Happy Cow, previously but had got lost in information, plus often I find that vegan restaurants (no matter how good the food is) don't often shout fine dining when on holiday and looking for a treat.

Lots of restaurants all of you have pointed too I haven't found on blogs, google search e.c.t. Especially vegan ice cream! Oh my! I never thought I would eat gelato again! And thank you 'K' for the tip on the Vegan Passport. I had never heard of it, but it sounds like an ingenious idea. Ordering one now, but for the trip (as it's tomorrow) I will just have to use google translate, a dictionary and make some cards. Thanks Emma for the map, amazing!

Thank you all so much, I look forward to exploring these places so much and I hope this feed helps out anyone like me in the same position.