London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Palm Oil

Palm Oil

Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 251
As destructive Palm Oil production is a major issue, it's probably best we keep it to a discussion rather than comments...

Click on the images to enlarge them, for readability.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 252
The article 'The Concerned Users Guide To Palm Oil' highlights quite nicely the majority of the issues, and it's not too long a read (8 paragraphs).
zenith
user 5275098
London, GB
Post #: 4
Ms Cupcake have told me their cupcakes contain palm oil and they are unwilling to change, even tho I suggested alternatives. So not a good idea to use their recipes at all.
Do take a look around my website to find out more about the issues there. There is an essay I wrote for a book chapter . If you take five minutes to read it you will be pretty much up to speed.
The more we can speak/write to companies the better. I think its misleading for so called 'vegan' companies to use palm oil, which causes slaughter of the highest degree. And to give people on vegan pledge alternatives that include palm oil should be avoided. It is out of the frying pan into the fire.
Zenith
www.lifewithoutpalmoil.org
Gabb
user 13306862
London, GB
Post #: 3
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 254
Thanks for the link Gabrielle, that's a good article.

Zenith, clearly we need to be approaching the problem from all angles, educating consumers, avoiding/minimising palm oil where we can (hi oleic sunflower oil appears to be a good alternative?), ensuring honest labelling of ingredients (it annoys me that good guys like Sainsbury's and the Co-op do label for palm oil, but most likely lose out on sales as a result, compared to all the bad guys who just list it as 'vegetable oil', etc.), lobbying companies and governments, etc.

Do try to use the 'Link to...' feature in future, so people can just click on the link to you excellent site, thus www.lifewithoutpalmoil.org­ :-)
zenith
user 5275098
London, GB
Post #: 5
Heres a great website

Whoops I think I wrote a comment to the wrong place- Saying I didnt mean to start a debate.....
It really was my intention for that to come on this place. I am pretty low tech...
Zenith
zenith
user 5275098
London, GB
Post #: 6
HI Richard,
Good idea to open a discussion- rather on the comments page though it was not my intention to start a discussion.
I just want
to know whether there will be vegan food available that doesn't
contain palm oil so we will know if we will be able to buy some food there which I hope to -or not.

Yes I also did make the point re Shambhus foods containing palm oil as people assume it is cruelty
free and I think people should know what they are buying if theyre ethical vegans and the implications
Thank you
Great websitegreat film you can download
Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 16
As Nishma has already said, Shambhu's don't use palm oil, but they may use ingredients (such as vegan margarine) that contain palm oil.

And when asked about palm oil on Sunday, I seem to remember Ms Cupcake said that the only viable alternative was coconut oil - but that this would mean an unacceptable increase in prices.

Sometimes, you need a fat that's solid at room temperature. And there only seem to be two options for this: vegan margarine or coconut oil. So if coconut oil isn't economically viable, then the options are limited...

So what we need to do is to get vegan organisations, vegan companies, and palm oil campaigners on the same side - lobbying the producers of vegan margarine to produce a palm-oil free alternative. And similarly with other products.

But vegan companies (such as Shambhu's and Ms Cupcake) and vegan organisations (such as the Vegan Society and London Vegan Campaigns) already do a lot to reduce animal cruelty. So I don't think that attacking them is the way forwards. Instead, it's more likely to alienate potential allies. And I speak as one of the alienated...
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 255
I'll ask Shyam about palm oil but, as Robb points out, we've got to be realistic about who we define as the 'enemy' and how we go about tackling them.

Clearly other vegetable oils can go hard, not just palm and coconut, but it's down to the avoidance of hydrogenated fat and trans-fats that we now find ourselves using palm oil (I guess that's where the hi oleic sunflower oil comes in?).

And don't forget that there's palm oil in cosmetics and other products and, more worryingly, increasingly in biofuels, which are often just as, if not more, damaging to the environment than fossil fuels.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 256
Zenith, that 'saynotopalmoil' site is a '.com' not a '.org' it would appear.