addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Palm Oil

Palm Oil

Gabb
user 13306862
London, GB
Post #: 4
From the experts:

http://www.health.har...­

Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 269
As ever it looks like everything in moderation... though clearly we should aim to avoid 'destructive' palm oil methods by using alternatives like coconut oil, until we can be sure that palm oil is produced in a benign way.
wendy k
user 10301491
London, GB
Post #: 19
Oh dear - I just checked Tomor Margarine which has a Vegan seal of approval on it 0 It's kosher from Israel and it too has palm oil. It also has coconut oil as well. I dont use coconut oil - too heavy; rapeseed or sunflower; all oils in moderation, especially if you eat nuts and nut butters then I think you're getting the good oils from source.
zenith
user 5275098
London, GB
Post #: 7
The whole point is that palm oil isnt produced in a benign way and because its an expanding market it is highly unlikely it ever will be. So palm oil IS the problem.
Palm oil is a burning issue for vegans because it is often used as a substitute for dairy, but a hughly unethical substitute. vegans who use faux food eg cheesly tartuffi , vegan margerine consume more palm oil than meaters, sayss Stephen Walsh of the vegan soc.

People have mentioned substitutes for vegan marg-olive oil, nut butters, pumpkin seed butters, also try hummous, guacamole, flavoured olive oil-with herbs or garlic or chilli.
And coconut oil. My nutritionist friend says it is very healthy. Mine is tasteless so there must be diferent kinds. I think its biona-I'll look.
Yummy vegan buttery icing- I make with coconut oil and icing sugar preferably the unrefined kind/ orange juice, coffee,chocolate flavourings super yum! cakes can be made with oils not marg, see Ronny's booklets.Simples!
Coconut oil is like butter in that it is hard from the fridge, soft at warm room temp amd liquid if gently warmed-eg by putting the unopened jar in hot water.

FYI As a campaigner I started when I found out about the deforestation caused by using palm oil as a biofuel.I was appalled and found very few people knew about this issue yet alone fought it. In the last four years I have (voluntarily ) founded three local campaighns to stop palm oil power stations from getting planning permission-we stopped two from going ahead! Palm oil is a major driver of deforestation-if we dont destroy the rainforest and its peoples and animals someone else will? Best stop what we can dont you think?That is our reponsibilty

It was when I became vegan that I saw it was in so many products and have tackled opposing it in all the ways Richard suggested incl several stalls, presenations etc. I did a talk and showed the film at London Vegans.
So, nobody's saying anybody has to avoid palm oil but its good to raise awareness as still so few people know about it and reducing is doable as is writing to manufacturers and pester them as Richard says!and writing to the government about the biofuels issue which some of you have already done-thanks! If you desire, See my website for more info and draft email. A great website is

I dont think anyone should be put off by long lists of chemical names for palm oil. In foods palm oil will soon belabelled not just sneakily called vegetable oil. And as for soaps washing powders-we can just ask the manufacturers. The firm 'Honesty' has great soap , shampoo etc and Beauty without cruelty is palm free.
As for the idea that palm oil is in our ingredients not our kitchen-if palm oil i sin teh product its in the product. Full stop.
Fresh foods caterers has stopped using palm oil after seeing my website and the Monkey sanctuary has sought my help with a list of alternatives and info for there education aspect.

I would rather have fewer ethical products than more nonethical ones.
When some people have come to my presentations some have just changed without much trouble-as Jordi put it -avoiding palm oil has given me another way to protect animals

So it doesnt seem like much if any of the food on sat will be palm free. That was my original question which I havent yet had answered-please let me know, Richard? Thanks
zenith
user 5275098
London, GB
Post #: 8
Hi dont know why the links didnt work .I'll try again

more on animal aspects and shopping

Info and draft letters

richard-may I pls have your email address-thanks, zenith.
zenith
user 5275098
London, GB
Post #: 9
Hi the links havent worked but here are those websites
www.saynotopalmoil.org palm oil and animals and shopping-gret stite
info on biofuels aspects as well as other palm oiol uses-www.lifewithoutpalmoil.org
great film showing whats going on with palm oil production www.greenteh film.com

Sorry to hear your using frys products-they contain palm oil. Why not use vegusto?
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 270
Sorry Zenith, my internet was down last night (never, ever sign up to PlusNet broadband!), you'll be glad to hear that, as mentioned in the event's comments, Vegusto (who use coconut oil) will be represented, and there's even a chance that you might all get to take home some Vegusto goodies :-)

I just haven't got time to get into the rest for now, sorry... I'll re-visit this after Saturday is out the way...
TeeGee
user 32870332
Brighton, GB
Post #: 1
Ms Cupcake have told me their cupcakes contain palm oil and they are unwilling to change, even tho I suggested alternatives. So not a good idea to use their recipes at all.
Do take a look around my website to find out more about the issues there. There is an essay I wrote for a book chapter . If you take five minutes to read it you will be pretty much up to speed.
The more we can speak/write to companies the better. I think its misleading for so called 'vegan' companies to use palm oil, which causes slaughter of the highest degree. And to give people on vegan pledge alternatives that include palm oil should be avoided. It is out of the frying pan into the fire.
Zenith
www.lifewithoutpalmoil.org
­Hi Zenith, had pleasure of meeting you at Vegfest Brighton and thank you for your wonderful (palm oil-free) recipes on your website. It does take a bit of effort and disciplne to be vegan AND oppose palm oil BUT WE ALL AT LEAST NEED TO TRY! Love to you and hope to see you again one of these days.smile
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 271
I was speaking to Mark of Vegusto about palm oil and, as he wanted more info, I sent him your website link Zenith, and recommended you as someone who can advise, I hope that's okay?!
Kari
Kari_N12
London, GB
Post #: 6
A quick and easy anti palm oil petition action here:
https://www.rainfores...­