London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan food only (Please read!)

Vegan food only (Please read!)

Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Please make sure that you eat VEGAN FOOD ONLY at London Vegan Meetup events.

You don't have to be vegan to join London Vegan Meetup. Or to attend our events. As well as vegans, we welcome non-vegans - such as vegetarians, flexitarians, pescetarians, and omnivores. And one reason that the group exists is to introduce non-vegans to vegan food (and to vegans!)

However, another reason is to provide an environment where members won't find themselves eating with people who are consuming animal products. Therefore, we do expect all attendees (regardless of diet) to eat vegan food only at London Vegan Meetup events.

Fortunately, most people understand that eating animal products at a vegan event would be extremely disrespectful - both to the event organisers and to other attendees (much like eating meat at a vegetarian event, or pork at a Jewish event!) Besides, if we condone the consumption of things like dairy, eggs and honey at our events, then there's really no point in having a London Vegan Meetup at all - as it would be indistinguishable from the London Vegetarian Meetup Group! (At least we don't usually have to worry about people eating meat, as we generally don't go to places that serve non-vegetarian food.)

So if you choose to attend London Vegan Meetup events, please make sure that you respect the policy and members of the group, and refrain from eating non-vegan food.

And for anyone that really can't manage to eat vegan food only for an evening, I'd recommend sticking to the events organised by our good friends at the London Vegetarian Meetup Group - for now at least.

Many thanks,

Robb (London Vegan Meetup Organiser)
Jane
user 10151371
Cholsey, GB
Post #: 2
Well said Robb biggrin
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 107
Yep a constant source of frustration for me as an ethical vegan when it comes to local veggie meet ups...
A former member
Post #: 4
This is the reason why I stopped posting events on the vegetarian meetup. Vegan means vegan. Not trying to say I am better for the choices I make, but I must insist on all attendees being vegan for the night. Well done Robb for posting. You are awesome!
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 299
It's probably worth mentioning this in the 'Read more about us...' section on the left, rather than 'burying' it in the About Us section (I get the impression a lot of people don't even read the former, let alone the other discussions!).
Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 20
Thanks everyone. I've had one complaint about this policy, but otherwise feedback (via emails and texts, as well as on here) has been positive. It seems that quite a few members have been unhappy about people eating non-vegan food at vegan meetups...

I've also added a mention of this to the introductory email that new members receive. So everyone should now be aware. But I'll add it to other pages and event details if it continues to be a problem.

FatGayVegan, do you think it would be worth tweaking the "eat what you like" bit of the description for Vegan Drinks too?

And if there's anything else that anyone's unhappy about, please let me know...
Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 22
Sorry, Richard. It looks like I somehow managed to edit your message rather than replying to it. Can you remember what you wrote?
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 301
LOL Don't worry, it happens (more and more frequently in my case!)...

I reminded you about adding the vegan food bit onto the 'Read more about us...' (at left) and mentioned how some vegetarians have said they'll not attend our events, as they're not vegans, even though I've pointed out that clearly 'We're about:' (see left again) veggies too, and vegan food is pretty inclusive ;-)
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 305
Looks like Mark over in Bristol is having a similar issue with his Meetup­.
Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 23
Thanks Richard. I've tweaked the box on the left to hopefully clarify both issues.