London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Supermarket options

Supermarket options

wendy k
user 10301491
London, GB
Post #: 22
Thanks for this lively discussion. Good to know there are others out there thinking the same thing and doing things.

I also get cashew and almond butter (meridian) at Sainsbury's although not all of them stock them. I was in a little Sainsbury's yesterday with a comment card so comment away I will. Imagine if we (all) 1,100 wrote! OK, I'm off today and it looks like a good day to write! What a result if your friend gets to the top guy.

The cheapest place to get raw nuts is Mr. Patel's in Tooting; I've never been to Southall but there's probably someone selling bulk nuts to Indian restaurants. (There is a large Indian shop behind Brick Lane but the prices tend to be higher - but lots of unusual herbs if you're cooking Indian style - not sure if this was visited on any of the recent meet ups in that area.)

I get my vegegusto from the amazing little Health Food Shop (run by the loveliest people) on Clapham High Road in between Clapham Common and Clapham North.

btw: The latest Waitrose Sept magazine has a break out Autumn Foods and most of the recipes are vegan adaptable! Very little meat! One point for Waitrose! (If only the other market shop magazines had more options or adaptable recipes).

Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 333
I've found ground cashew nuts (use a cheap coffee grinder) work quite well, just add a bit of water to bind, perhaps a little garlic/herbs/seasoning if you like, and put in the fridge to set.

If you add enough water to make it 'runny' it also works as a 'melted cheese' substitute poured over pizza, etc. prior to cooking. Vegusto is made using ground nuts (organic cashews and almonds, as I recall).

Try to join a buying group using wholesalers like Suma (I use them for my Transition's group), you can search for one near you at http://www.sustainweb...­
wendy k
user 10301491
London, GB
Post #: 23
My vegan housemate and I were talking about this thread and he realised he had a lot of cashews and made two batches - one was plain and as he's a chocoholic freak he had some pure dark cocoa and added it to a second batch - kind of like home made nutella! And as I'm a bit nutty will be trying walnut butter next! A third vegan is moving in and I think we'll have a look at some bulk buys. Thanks again - I've written a letter to Marc Bolland, the CEO of M&S about vegan options - not that they'll ever stock Frye's or Redwood but there's always hope!
Tina-Eileen J.
user 52507022
London, GB
Post #: 4
"As Nature intended" is pretty good for Vegan products. (and fingers crossed - I'm hoping to infiltrate further and will be able to ask about stocking even more!!)
The only place I have ever purchased vegan chocolate spread from is Vx and it was fantastic!!
The other one I saw in "as nature intended" was:Carobella, which is (apparently) the Vegan equivelant of Nutella. I read mixed reviews on said product.... Has anyone tried it??
I'm still waiting to hear back from my brother about talking to Justin King, I even asked if I Could speak to him myself but possibly this was asking too much!! I just fear that brother will not really champion the subject as he does not really "get it" and does not agree with it :-(
Cashew Nut Butter is only £2.39 in Sainsburys!! Plus I get a discount, much cheaper than holland and barrat - though taking advantage of their current buy one get one half price offer would essentially work out cheaper....
xTx
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 334
Current Suma Wholesale price for cashew nut butter

Meridian Cashew Butter - 6 x 170g (GH027) £12.55 (£2.09 ea)
Meridian Cashew Nut Butter - organic - 6 x 170g (GH057) £13.45 (£2.24 ea)

You can split most cases/packs using fractions (rounded up to 2 decimal places, which might increase the price slightly, so best to stick to halves, quarters, tenths, etc.), so an order of 0.5 would get you 3 jars in this example.

Delivery is free on orders over £250, which is why it's best to join/form a buying group, unless you're stocking up for a nuclear winter ;-)
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 335
H&B price for the non-organic is £2.79 (BOGOHP £4.18), so with the offer it works out the same as Suma, otherwise it's 70p more expensive. They don't list the organic one.
Sara
user 53056602
London, GB
Post #: 1
Just got back from the Whole Foods Market store in Clapham Junction. They sell Vegusto sausages and cheese.