London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Supermarket options

Supermarket options

Victoria
user 48207772
London, GB
Post #: 3
Hi

I recently contacted some of the big supermarkets about vegan options. There is a big M&S near my office but all of the sandwiches in the vegetarian section seem to have butter or eggs or cheese in. M&S were very helpful and sent this:

"You may be interested in our website, http://health.marksan...­. On this page there is a document listing all of the foods we offer that are suitable for vegans. For lunch options you may wish to try our Large Vegetable Samosa, Super Wholefood with Mango and Blueberries or our Super Wholefood Shaker Salad."

If any other supermarkets get back to me I'll post it here. If anyone has any further advice, please let us know! :-)
Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 24
This is a good source of vegan lists for different supermarkets:
http://www.cookingfor...­

Not forgetting the Vegan Society's own guide, available both online (http://www.animalfree...­) and as a pocket book (http://shop.vegansoci...­.
K
user 23475421
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hi Victoria

Thanks for letting me know that, I go into M&S a lot. But, just to let you know they do a vegan wrap, it's part of their healthy range, I think it's roast pepper and hummous, it's nice!

Also, Waitrose do a 3 bean wrap as well which is nice!

K
Victoria
user 48207772
London, GB
Post #: 4
Thanks for the links and advice. I also emailed some of the restaurants near my work and home and had a lovely email back from Vapiano (they do lovely pasta) which is very close to Tate Modern on the South Bank if anyone is in the area:

"Our pasta doesn’t contains eggs at all it is made from Semolina flour and water. The Pizza dough is made without eggs and milk too.
I can recommend from our Pasta section Pasta Arrabiata with tomato sauce, Pasta Pomodoro (tomato sauce), Pasta Pomodoro E Spinachi ( tomato sauce, spinach), Pomodoro E Fresco Basilico... etc.

From our salad bar Bruschetta (Toasted bread, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil)... If you would like to order salad then you can ask the chefs to don’t add dairy products to your salad. The vegetarian dressing I suggest is the Balsamico Vinegar. From the Pizzas all of them contains as topping tomato sauce and mozzarella but you may also ask your pizza without them. "
Victoria
user 48207772
London, GB
Post #: 5
Vegan options from Hotel Chocolat

http://www.hotelchoco...­

A former member
Post #: 6
I have just started a petition to help get Fry's Vegetarian frozen vegan food line into Sainsbury's.

Have a look and take a moment to sign it: http://fatgayvegan.co...­

It would be great to be able to get their stuff in a major supermarket. Feel free to pass on the link to as many people as possible.

Sean xx
wendy k
user 10301491
London, GB
Post #: 20
Thank you so much for doing this - something I have thought about but not got round to doing. I've signed the petition and commented that the Free From range which says "dairy free" contains eggs so not dairy free in my own mind of what's dairy. I wonder if Waitrose would consider stocking this as they stock a reasonable selection of tofu based products as well as Swedish glace in several flavours.

btw: I was in Whole Foods Kensington Saturday and was really surprised they werent stocking vegegusto cheeses - which thought would have been in their target market price range. I asked the 'dairy' stocker - she had no idea what I was talking about. I realise vegan food takes extra time care love and attention but can anyone explain why the prices on some things seem extraordinarily high? Nuts seem to have gone sky high (although I now buy my nuts at Mr. Patel's in Tooting in bulk - except I'm trying not to buy nuts sourced from China as I'm concerned about the growing conditions, etc). The most reasonable items were bulk buys downstairs where you can make little herb bags. I like the idea of making my own pistachio butter but at £22.98 per kilo I gave it a miss. Thanks to everyone for all the interesting links on where to get stuff - I feel like I spend most of my time sourcing things from all the local Sat / Sun farmer markets (my own garden this year suffered from weather) and spending hours just reading ingredients when in the market. I wrote to ASDA ages ago when the removed Swedish Glace ice cream and now I see it's finally back in the freezer.

Something else I've been thinking about....I enjoy watching the tv reality cooking shows...Bake off, Hairy Dieters, Celebrity / Master chef... the two Italians, Come Dine with me. Ken Hom in China (and you know why I dont want to eat nuts from China)..Sat kitchen... I always think about ways to adopt the ideas for vegan cooking. What disappoints me about all these programs is the lack of any focus on vegetable and or vegan dishes. While there have been vegetarians on the programs, I think this is another area to explore with a letter writing and petition campaign.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 331
I could've sworn Mark (Galvin) of Vegusto said their products were available at Whole Foods yesterday, definitely mentioned Planet Organic, and I see Loving Hut is listed on their site. Use this link to find your local stockist.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 332
With regards to veg*n cooking on mainstream TV, this is something that Karin (Ridgers) of Veggie Vision is working on (sorry, I can't be more specific at the moment), so it's probably worth speaking to her about any ideas you might have.
Tina-Eileen J.
user 52507022
London, GB
Post #: 3
I was in Kensington whole Foods and no Vegegusto cheese, they had quite a few vegan products yes, but most of it that seemed to be marketed for vegans was more in convienience food types like Lucy's cookies. And I did find that most of the tofu products they stocked I can actually get cheaper elsewhere.
I too LOVE the idea of making my own nut butter although my predeliction is more towards cashew nuts!! Again the price put me off as I can get Meridian Cashew butter in Sainsbury's for much cheaper plus discount.

I'm not sure it will pay off, but I do know a guy who is rather well acquainted with Justin King (Sainsbury's "top man") I'm going to ask him to talk to Justin King about stocking more vegan food. Fingers crossed!!
xTx