London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Meat substitute?

Meat substitute?

Jeaney
user 38959502
Uxbridge, GB
Post #: 1
Hi there,

I know this has probably been asked numerous times but I am struggling to find good meat substitute here in London. I've bought some stuff on veggiestuff.com and the soy cutlets are the closest things I can find as "chicken" and they don't taste anything like chicken. I even visited Whole Foods hoping that they would stock up on more meat substitute but found lots of tofu and frozen processed food instead. I was hoping to find something fresher, like Gardein chicken or beef chunks but to no avail.

Can someone please please help me as I am struggling to find anything that taste like chicken or beef. The soy cutlets I made taste kind of nasty... I must have done it wrong maybe...?

If someone could recommend me which site/store I can get something similar to Gardein meat, I will be sooooo thankful!

Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 355
Have you checked out Vegusto's products (check out the starter kits at the bottom), and for oriental dishes do look at Veggie World (hoping to 'meetup' there on the 27th, after the West Midlands VegFest). If you've an oriental store nearby, it's worth looking at their 'mock' meat products, and there is always Holland & Barrett!
Shelley
user 35729342
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hi Jeaney,
I can strongly recommend Redwoods chicken pieces, which you can order directly off their website or get from most Holland & Barratt stores (http://shop.redwoodfo...­. To be fair most of the Redwoods range is quite authentic. You can also try Fry's which is also available from selected H&B stores or order from ( http://www.goodnessdi...­. Fry's steak strips are very tasty and easy to use. Sainsbury's has recently launched their own fairly decent meat free range so look out for their "LoveSoya meat free sausages". You can also make Seitan if you'd prefer not to have processed food that you aren't sure of the origins, here is an easy recipe (http://vegetarian.abo...­. Hope this helps, if you need more help you can message me directly and ask...
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 357
Goodness Direct stock chicken and beef style products (from Redwoods, Fry's, etc.), and here's a code for 10% off when you spend over £35.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 358
LOL Hi Shelley, two great minds think alike ;-)
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 359
It's probably worth joining a local buying group, or starting your own, to pay wholesale prices. Suma wholesale, who I use, stock Fry's, Redwood and much more.
Jeaney
user 38959502
Uxbridge, GB
Post #: 2
THANK YOU!

Also, I have been wanting to join you guys for your meetups but I live so far West that it's a pain to go home alone at night. I probably will one of these days though. I need to meet like-minded ppl as it can be hard living in a meat eating house when you're the odd one out.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 360
How far west?!
Jeaney
user 38959502
Uxbridge, GB
Post #: 3
Uxbridge, zone 6.

Literally the last stop on Metropolitan. :(

Ohh, I bought some meat substitute from Holland & Barrett!
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 363
There are sometimes Meetups in Harrow, and it's worth checking on the Surrey Meetup. Check out Robb's VegEvents calendar for Surrey and (Greater) London Meetup, and other, events.