London Vegan Meetup Message Board › unhappy with The Queens Larder/Greene King pub in Holborn

unhappy with The Queens Larder/Greene King pub in Holborn

Jessica
user 8598160
London, GB
Post #: 1
My complaint letter (re: pub we attend following vegan meetup.com potluck)

Re: The Queens Larder (Greene King) @ 1 Queen's Square, Bloomsbury, WC1N 3AR

November 11th 2012

To: Whom it may concern,

Our social group comprising of maybe 15 - 20 people attend one of your pubs in Holborn a monthly basis; pub address as indicated above.

I was very unhappy with the man working at the bar on Wednesday night (November 7th); he indicated he was the 'owner' and his name was 'Sean', a blonde British guy. Several members of our group bought alcoholic drinks and went upstairs. He then decides to stop serving us as he believes one girl he points to walking in is underage. Instead of politely requesting ID or asking her and her friends to sit downstairs, continuing to serve the majority who are over 18, he decides to rudely inform us he won't be serving anyone else from our group.

He treated my friends (all over age) very rudely and I didn't appreciate the discrimination I received on my visit. He even came upstairs (given he had bar staff help to cover the lower bar) to look around but refused to check IDs or even request any perceived minors come downstairs for greater visibility in accordance with minor alcohol laws; he just shouts at us and scowls, abruptly storming downstairs. He obviously has no true motivation to prevent unlawful underage alcohol consumption on his premises; this is evident in the fact he observed several adults drinking beer and wine in the presence of one underage female yet he took no action to remedy the situation. He did however continue to discriminate against regular paying customers.

When I visit a pub and speak politely to bar staff, making no unreasonable requests, I expect to be treated fairly, free from discrimination; his poor customer service skills and callous indifference has forced me and other members of our group to request that other members of our group join us instead at the neighbouring pub for our monthly visits (equating to a potential loss of £50- £100 in drinks we would have purchased). Upon leaving the pub, I did indeed lose my temper, voicing my opinions without hesitation; I would hope other customers do not receive the ill treatment this member of staff imposed on us.
Lewis
user 48869142
London, GB
Post #: 1
Real shame to hear about this! Have you recieved a reply?
Napak
user 14427553
London, GB
Post #: 6
Hi Jess, that is horrible. If he really is the owner, he doesn't deserve the business. I'm glad you made a complaint and thanks for sharing. Let us know how it goes. xx
Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 37
Have you sent that to the brewery (customerRelations@greeneking.co.uk) as well as the pub (susanbowler2004@aol.com)?

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.