addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Original Source Products

Original Source Products

A former member
Post #: 3
Just found out Original Source Shower Gel and Skin Care Company are owned by a company called PZ Cussons who are owned by Unilever who do animal testing. What do others think?Saw this post

UNLEASHED.ORG.

Kelvin
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 391
Doesn't surprise me, it's like Alpro, Provamel, etc. being owned by Dean Foods, the largest dairy processor in the US. Click on the pic below for more...

A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks Richard I'll look at it and email it to my vegan mate he'd be interested in this as he is a big Alpro consumer.
Shelley
user 35729342
London, GB
Post #: 3
More interestingly then; why have the Vegan society endorsed Original Source products then? I trust the trademark to only be on products that can't be traced back to anything non-vegan. I must write to them, I'll let you know if I get a response. Very infuriating!
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 395
Hi Shelley, The Vegan Society state "The Trademark shows that the product displaying it, and its ingredients, have not been tested on animals by or for the manufacturer. ", which clearly doesn't mean that the company itself is not in any way connected with testing.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 397
Kelvin, it's also probably worth pointing your friend to the Dean Foods Wiki (and here's the Alpro one).

As I recall, the French family who run Sojade are dairy farmers too. But I'd rather give them my money than Alpro/Provamel who're owned by Dean Foods, the largest dairy processor in the US.
Shelley
user 35729342
London, GB
Post #: 4
Hi, the link from the Vegan Society http://www.vegansocie...­
Trademark Standards

In 1944 The Vegan Society created the word 'vegan' - our trademark is the authentic international vegan standard. Today, products must pass the following criteria to be eligible for registration:
Animals

The Vegan Society understands the word "animal" to refer to the entire Animal Kingdom, that is all vertebrates and all multicellular invertebrates. The word may be used either as a noun or an adjective and to refer to either a species or an individual animal, depending on context. Unless otherwise stated, it usually means non-human animals.
Animal Ingredients

The manufacture and/or development of the product, and where applicable its ingredients, must not involve, or have involved, the use of any animal product, by-product or derivative.
Animal Testing

The development and/or manufacture of the product, and where applicable its ingredients, must not involve, or have involved, testing of any sort on animals conducted at the initiative of the manufacturer or on its behalf, or by parties over whom the manufacturer has effective control.
Genetically Modified Organisms

The development and/or production of genetically modified organisms (GMO) must not have involved animal genes or animal-derived substances. Products put forward for registration which contain or may contain any GMOs must be labelled as such.
Kitchen and Hygiene Standards

Dishes that are to be labelled vegan must be prepared separately from non-vegan dishes. As a minimum surfaces and utensils must be thoroughly washed prior to being used for vegan cooking. We strongly recommend that a separate set of utensils be procured for this purpose. Be aware of the risk of cross-contamination from non-vegan sources in your kitchen, and take all reasonable practical steps to eliminate this.

If you see the bold, it would seem that Original source should have the trademark revoked...
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 398
No Shelley, sadly not, as I said before, it's clearly only the product they're worried about, not the company itself.