London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Event creation

Event creation

Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 50
When Cameron (the previous organiser of London Vegan Meetup) originally set up this group, he organised a meal roughly once a month - and not much happened in between.

It was when he decided to open up event creation to all members, that things really took off - and the group started to evolve into the vibrant community that it is today, with one or more events running most weeks.

However, as the group has become more and more active, this has presented its own challenges. And event hosts will know that I've been tinkering with the system in order to ensure both that events are sufficiently well organised, and that hosts get any support they need. (This has involved emailing event hosts with a set of guidelines for event creation, which we ask them to agree to before their event is announced.)

But I feel that the current system still has a number of weaknesses:
  • Meetups can be created which are little more than free advertising for commercial events, and which don't help build the community in the way that genuine Meetups do.
  • Meetups can be created by people who have never ever been to a Meetup, and who don't appreciate what's involved.
  • If a host doesn't respond to the guidelines, their event still exists as a suggested Meetup of unknown status.

So I'm now considering a more fundamental change...

I'm thinking of using Meetup.com's support for the role of "event organiser". Anyone who wanted to organise an event would first need to become an event organiser. In order to do so, they need have attended a couple of previous Meetups (and made themselves known to an organiser). And they'd need to agree to the same guidelines that event hosts need to agree to now.

The advantages to the event organisers would be:
  • No need to agree to the guidelines for each event. Once would be enough.
  • No need to wait for me to make them the host, and to announce their event. They could do it themselves.

The advantages to the group would be:
  • Increased confidence that events would be genuine Meetups.
  • Fewer suggested events of unknown status.

And the disadvantages? Well, setting up one's first event could take a little longer, as there's an extra step (i.e. becoming an event organiser). However, I think that this would be more than compensated for by the time gained in being able to announce one's own events.

But I'd like to know what you think...
Steven OG S.
SOGS
London, GB
Post #: 5
Sounds fair / reasonable!

Thanks for all the hard work you put in to making this fun, vibrant, spam free community.
Robert
user 51976132
London, GB
Post #: 5
Sounds like a good idea Robb. You have done an excellent job so far and this shows that the meetup group is growing :)

I think you need to recruit some active lieutenants to assist you. I've never ever seen Cathy even though I've been to countless meetups over the last few months. Would be very nice to see Cathy one day :)

I would suggest you add Julie Rosenfield as an event organiser because she did an absolutely sterling job of the veggie Christmas drinks at tibits. Very professional and very dedicated! I was very impressed with how she sent out the reminder emails.

Also, Fat Gay Vegan would obviously be another good choice, as he does both the Vegan drinks and the pot luck. Plus he is very, very experienced.

There are other fantastic people, but I would start with these two because they have the most experience in my opinion.

Hope this sounds reasonable to you and helps to lighten the load.
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 164
I agree with Robert's suggestions for event organisers, those are obviously very good choices, if they're willing (I know Julie is organiser already on the Vegetarian meet up), I'd also think Jessica who is organising the regular Brixton events would be a really good person to be a joint organiser. I don't organise totally vegan events very often, in my local area, but do occasionally, even if it is sometimes only a local park picnic once a year, and hope I would be allowed to keep having that up on this group, with or without being one of your official organisers. I almost forgot the book club organiser Jon.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 457
I vote for Lesley Dove... is that how this works?! ;-)
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 458
oh, and I second the comments on a job well done by Robb et al...
Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 64
OK, I've finally put this in place. For now, I've made anybody who organises regular events an Event Organiser, but anyone else who's interested in organising events can ask to become one.

More details to follow at http://www.londonvega...­
Robert
user 51976132
London, GB
Post #: 11
Looks like a good leadership team, hope everything works very well :)
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 527
Cheers Robb, can I put Lesley forward as another possible member of the team...
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 192
Oh no thanks Richard although I am vvv flattered to be put forward, I am on more than enough groups already as an official organiser (Surrey, Families, London Veg..).. if I want to put something up on the Vegan group I am sure if I ask Robb or another organiser, so long as it is within the rules as a truly vegan event (like the picnic) it will not be a problem..