London Vegan Meetup Message Board › London vegan meetup - females only

London vegan meetup - females only

Mark R.
Mark_Reeve
Bristol, GB
Post #: 11
It would appear that a new group has appeared close to the facebook page that is open for females only.

I think that this is sexist and inappropriate for the meetup group to be associating itself with it.

What do others think?
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 165
Pretty much what I said on a private message to Robb via Facebook! So at least they can't say it is only men who are against this. If someone wants to set up that group it is their prerogative but should not be associated with London Vegan Meet Up.
A former member
Post #: 17
I don't think it is sexist to have a female vegan group, but I do agree other groups shouldn't use the name of this group to promote themselves without permission.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 471
Have you a link please Mark, or are you referring to this Farcebook group? Cheers
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 472
Ah, it's okay, I've just seen the comments on Farcebook. At least the name of their group 'Vegan females in London' isn't copying this one, which is what I thought you meant.

If you're going to stop people from creating a group based on gender, you might as well stop groups based on sexuality, race and profession, etc. Whilst I like people to be inclusive, sometimes it's a necessary evil.
Robb
robbmasters
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 53
I think I've addressed in in my reply to the discussion of Facebook, and we probably dont need to have the same discussion in two or three different places.

The meetup group is not "associating itself" with the new group for females. As you'll no doubt have seen, I asked them to change the name of the group as it's a completely independent group. (And they've happily done so.)

Which means there's not much point discussing it here...
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 473
Cheers Robb, I haven't read all the comments so didn't know about the name change. I agree that it seems unnecessary to open up a second discussion, outside of the original Farcebook one.
L.Galvin
user 11280387
London, GB
Post #: 26
Hi All

Mark i'm assuming you would therefore object to over half the groups on meet-up
which you can't join because you are not a certain age ,sexuality,race.
My friend belongs to a group for chinese people i assume you would object to that
because only chinese people can join.I have another friend that belongs to a group for
gay men .I'm not chinese or a gay male so i can't join either of these groups but i have no
problem with that.I'm assuming that you would also object to these groups aswell Mark

Regards

Linda

Florence
FlorencePurple
London, GB
Post #: 13
Hi,
Some people do not use Facebook for a variety of reasons and reading here about items discussed on Facebook is therefore not a repeat for them.
I, for one, have just learnt about this topic through this channel.
Cheers,
Florence