London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Vegan dentist

Vegan dentist

Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 520
I rang Jiva Dental and Bob's wife (a dietician) is a vegetarian, as was Stella (their receptionist) prior to living with her partner/husband (she occasionally eats white meat and fish). Stella is looking into product suitability for us, so for now at least, an eco one is probably better than a regular one.
Beata
jubzzb
Feltham, GB
Post #: 91
Richard, it's not better for me because I need a dentist who will explain how animals are used in dentistry and if there is any therapy which does not involve animal exploitation. I will look further.
BTW I send a message to Taggart King, hopefully he will put some light on it.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 523
You'll probably have more luck doing your research online Beata (there are plenty of good articles, such as this one), and then explaining what you need to your regular dentist.

You could be better off searching for a holistic or homeopathic dentist but, as with all things medical, do be wary of quakery :-)

Lesley, I see you've looked into vegan dentistry before.
Lesley D.
Lesleyvegandove
Hampton, GB
Post #: 189
Unfortunately Richard at the time I found myself too busy and never pursued it properly, I am glad someone is doing it now as it is one of those things that we vegans seem to know little about, so lots of us have probably had all sorts of nasty things in my mouth with animal products in them when having fillings and not felt there was any other choice! I must admit I am surprised that the Vegan Soc has not done more investigation on the subject of dental treatments..
Beata
jubzzb
Feltham, GB
Post #: 93
thanks Richard for info
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 526
Yes Lesley, I must admit I'd not even thought about the vegan implications of dentistry.

No problem Beata, I'll feed back any info on here or the Surrey group's discussion­.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 545
Did you hear back from Taggart King Beata?

For those not following the Surrey group's discussion, Jiva Dental have kindly sourced vegan products for us, and I'm going to hold a Kingston Meetup to include a fact-finding visit to them.

I've provisionally set the date to June 22nd, so please do sign-up, without obligation, to keep abreast of any changes.
Richard L.
user 12371727
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hello Beata, Lesley and Richard, I am starting a vegan owned and run dental laboratory in London and have looked into this already. As far as I can see there are none in London and the surrounding area.
I will be looking into ways to get vegan dentists to advertise the fact that they are vegan to get the huge amount of caring people to visit.
Richard
Beata
jubzzb
Feltham, GB
Post #: 125
Hi Richard,
Thx for your msg. Could you tell me pls if there are any filling, etc. which are vegan.
Thanks
A former member
Post #: 61
Any Dentist using Implants is not a good dentist. Very few in the UK. They would be struck off if they did not or under investigation. Do some research but a Vegan dentist or eco is likely to be worse because he's doing it not for research but for his her own morals only! Wake up Vegans please