London Vegan Meetup Message Board › Orchard Vegetarian Kitchen- worth trying

Orchard Vegetarian Kitchen- worth trying

Elka
user 46227762
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hi All,

A friend and I recently decided to try Orchard Vegetarian Kitchen for lunch on the basis of her liking their coffee- an achievement in itself. We were not disappointed!

I called ahead and was informed by a very helpful (and patient) lady that they always have a vegan sandwich and hot dish. She also told me that most, if not all, of their sides and salads are vegan, and they try to do a vegan dessert once a month.

I had the white bean sandwich with samphire and dill, grilled asparagus with black sesame seeds and radishes with celery marmalade. Yum, yum and yummy! That all came up to about £12, so not too pricey.

I highly recommend giving them a try even if you just need a quick fix and happen to be near Holborn- they do take out.

Here are their details:

Orchard Vegetarian Kitchen
11 Sicilian Avenue
London
WC1A 2QH

UK: 020 7831 2715
International: (+44)20 7831 2715

contact@orchard-kitchen.co.uk

http://www.orchard-ki...­
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 562
Thanks for the recommendation Elka, as it's close by (about a 3 minute walk) to Faraday House, where the potluck is held, it might be worth combining a visit with that.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 563
Typical, I tried emailing Orchard and it bounced!
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 564
They haven't claimed their Farcebook page or their Google+ listing, so I'm guessing they're not very computer literate.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 565
Doh! I gave them a call, and no-one knew what their email address was, let alone that the one listed doesn't work... can't say I was surprised, most places are terrible when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Kari
Kari_N12
London, GB
Post #: 17
A vegan dessert once a month?!!
I'm glad you had a good experience there as I'd got the impression they didn't do much for vegans, so I will check it out if I'm local - thanks
smile
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 567
Hmm, they don't list desserts on their sample menu, and they don't mention vegan suitability either, which is a shame.
Elka
user 46227762
London, GB
Post #: 3
I'm not surprised that they don't list their desserts- there were so many of them. I also got the impression that the desserts were made up on the day by the chef. My friend tried a cookie concoction and loved it so if you're going with someone who's veggie or omni they'll probably find something nice.

The person on the phone told me that they find it difficult to come up with ideas for vegan desserts and so basically just experiment once a month. I wouldn't count on them having something vegan- we strolled up to Planet Organic in Torrington Sq afterwards so I could get some Booja Booja ice cream.

It's a pity that their email address doesn't work and that they don't list which items are suitable for vegans on their menu.

The staff were very knowledgeable about which items were vegan when I went and were even willing to discuss specific ingredients and preparation methods so there would (hopefully) not be any problems for anyone if they just showed up without calling ahead.
Richard Ⓥ M.
RichardⓋMolyneux
London, GB
Post #: 570
Thanks for the info Elka, it's a shame that they don't appear to mention desserts on their website (they can say they change day-by-day), especially as they clearly do so many.

I'm amazed they have so much trouble with vegan dessert options, as there are plenty of good recipes online, along with some mouth-watering cookbooks.
Gabi
user 11028931
London, GB
Post #: 17
Hmm, they seem to be rather hit and miss...and just like the mother ship Vanilla Black strike me as wanting to impress omnis and impart that you don't need slabs of meat to be happy (don't get me wrong, very noble aspiration in itself...if they could be weaned off the dairy as well that would be awesome). All my omni friends who work nearby rave about the place so went there for lunch a few weeks ago. They had very limited vegan choices and the waitress didn't seem to particularly keen so see if certain things could be veganised. And I was then promptly served with asparagus with onions sauteed in butter, which I politely sent back.

Maybe I just had a bad day or they had a bad day but didn't strike me as overly vegan-friendly.