I am getting ready for a trip to the Smoky Mountains and when I get back I am always ready to go again. So I thought for the first outing upon returning I would like to hike in Nashville Indiana or as some call it "The Little Smoky's. Have never hiked here but have had it on my radar as a place I want to visit for some time.
The park doesn't have just one loop of any distance but does offer the ability to piece together several trails to create one. After looking at the map I am excited to hike four trails in the park for a total of 7 miles.
* Difficulty level: Moderate with some parts potentially leaning towards strenuous
If you have hiked with me before you know that I am not a speed hiker and this will still be the case. However please note that I fully expect to be more hills on this hike. Looking at map not steeper, but more of them. Don't let this keep you from coming. This is not a speed hike and no one gets left behind.
* Distance: 7 Miles.
*Pace: Casual walk in the woods. This is not a fitness hike will be enjoying scenery and taking photos along the way.
* Route: Trails not listed in order of hike.
Trail 8 HHC TRAIL, Moderate, (3.5 miles)—Extends east from west lookout, continues to near Hesitation Point, and then southwest to parking area at Ogle Lake and Trail 7. Trail was improved by volunteers from the Hoosier Hikers Council.
Trail 7 OGLE LAKE TRAIL, Moderate, (1.5 miles)—A hilly, wooded hike along the shores of Ogle Lake.
Trail 4 RALLY CAMPGROUND TRAIL, Moderate, (1.25 miles)—Starts near the front of the Rally Campground and leads through upland terrain to a deep ravine at the headwaters of Ogle Lake. Joins Trail 7 for a short distance. Meets with Trail 5 at Ogle Hollow Nature Preserve.
Trail 5 OGLE HOLLOW NATURE PRESERVE TRAIL, Rugged, (.75 mile)—Self-guided trail starts near the parking lot for Rally Campground and follows a slope wooded with yellowwood trees, loops through the nature preserve and intersects with Trail 4 from Ogle Lake.
* Regrouping: Group will be moving together. This trail does have a several trails that intersect. If the group should get Separated will stop at the intersections to regroup.
* Pets: Well mannered four legged hikers are welcome. (Be aware that pets must be on a lead in Indiana State Parks)
* What to Bring: Solid and comfortable footwear, layers for warmth, water, and any snacks and food you may want, as well as a smile, good cheer, and be ready to laugh and have a good time.
Directions to Location for Carpool:
From Louisville to Scottsburg Walmart.
Take I-65 North towards Indiana (The Sunny Side)
Take the IN-56 exit, EXIT 29, toward Salem/Scottsburg.
At Top of the ramp Turn Left Towards Salem (East) the Walmart will be on the right just under .5 miles from the intersection.
For those using GPS the Walmart is located at:
1618 W Mcclain AveScottsburg, IN 47170.
We will meet in the parking lot there just behind the Walmart's Gas Station. I will be in a red Subaru wagon with some hiking stickers on the back glass.
Please try to be prompt as it is just over an hour drive from carpool location to park.
Directions to Park From Louisville:
1. Merge onto I-65 N towards Jeffersonville/Indianapolis
2. Take exit 68 toward IN-46 W/W Jonathan Moore Pike
go 0.2 mi
3. Turn left onto IN-46 W/W Jonathan Moore Pike
Continue to follow IN-46 W About 20 mins go 16.0 mi
4. Turn left onto IN-46 W/Van Buren St. Continue to follow
IN-46 W About 4 mins go 2.3 mi
5. Turn left onto W Gate Entrance Rd Restricted usage road
About 8 mins go 2.9 mi
6. Turn right onto Ogle Lake Rd restricted usage road
About 3 mins go 1.3 mi
7. Turn right to stay on Ogle Lake Rd road Destination will
be on the left.
As always if there is any problems feel free to call or text me at [masked].