Welcome to Love-A-Bull's Meetup site!
We maintain both a primary organizational website (at www.love-a-bull.org) and this Meetup.com website, so that we can serve the community through a variety of information and activities.
History: Love-A-Bull is an outgrowth of the former Austin American Pit Bull Terrier Meetup Group, which was formed in 2003. Since that time, the organizers recognized that the political climate warranted the need for change. As a result, Love-A-Bull received 501(c)(3) nonprofit status to more actively further our mission.
Mission: To promote responsible guardianship and improve the image (and lives) of pit bull type dogs through community support, education, advocacy, and rescue.
Involvement: While we recognize the need for fun social activities, Love-A-Bull encourages its members to engage in activism. Specifically, Love-A-Bull welcomes members who are committed to participating in:
- Educating the public about responsible guardianship of pit bull type dogs;
- Promoting and reviving the positive image of the All-American dog that once was the pit bull;
- Dispelling the many urban myths that have developed regarding pit bull type dogs;
- Fighting against Breed-Discriminatory Legislation (BDL) targeting pit bull type dogs;
- Promoting and supporting the spaying and neutering of pit bull type dogs;
- Providing training and support to the families of pit bull type dogs;
- Working to eliminate dog fighting; and
- Supporting the rescue and re-homing of pit bull type dogs.
Our group is composed of members that live in Austin and the surrounding areas, as well as national members who wish to support our mission. We welcome Proud Pit Bull Parents and others interested in supporting the above ideals and those who will work to further our goals. Dues:
The suggested dues of $25 per calendar year - about $2 a month, goes to pay for activities consistent with Love-A-Bull's mission and programs. Love-A-Bull dues can be paid through the Love-A-Bull store
or via check or money order mailed to: Love-A-Bull, 2900 W. Anderson Lane, C-200 #304, Austin, Texas 78757. The full listing of membership discounts and benefits is available at Love-A-Bull's website.Donations:
Tax deductible contributions can be made at Love-a-Bull's website
. Donations support operation and growth of our ongoing programs.Programming:
- Availability of free 4-week training course at multiple locations (you will not find a better training deal anywhere), with choice of Basic or Advanced classes
- Social and fun events, such as Monthly Fun walks, Blues on the Green, holiday parties, photo shoots, Yappy Hours, etc.
- Research and tracking of breed-specific legislation and pending policy changes at local, state and national levels (and advocacy tools provided to members and the public)
- Educational events and community outreach (info booths that we staff, and hand out materials to owners, potential adopters and the public)
- Co-Chairing the city's Pit Bull Working Group, with contributions to city-wide initiatives involving pit bulls and Austin's No-Kill Implementation Plan
- Partnerships with local spay/neuter and rescue groups (we provide free spay/neuter to any pit bull in need)
- Need-based assistance to fosters, adopters, and members toward medical care, food, supplies, etc.
- Participation in national initiatives (Best Friends' "Saving America's Dog" campaign, Pit Bull Media Project, etc.)
- Media relations and promotion of Love-A-Bull events and programs
- Discounts at local retailers and vets as well as other member perks
- Tools and information on dealing with behavior, re-homing, multiple dog households, nutrition, health/surgeries, therapy/agility dog programs, etc.
Please also support us and your pit bull pride by proudly wearing our logo. You can purchase Love-A-Bull gear at: Love-A-Bull's storeContact us: http://love-a-bull.org/about/contact-us/