addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Love-A-Bull Pit Bull Meetup Message Board › Finding Apartments that allows Pitties

Finding Apartments that allows Pitties

Lydia
LydiaZ
Austin, TX
Post #: 89
I know this subject has come up quite a bit. So, here is what I have found out. It appears that nearly every apartment in Austin bans pit bulls at least on PAPER and in POLICY. Quite a few then conveniently look the other way and take the pet deposit anyway. This is basically because they then think they legally have themselves covered (i.e., if anything happens they claim the tenant violated the policy by having a pit bull, when they clearly had knowledge of the dog). Meanwhile they probably have plenty of problem dogs of all breeds as none of them seem to do any temperament testing. We have been trying to propose that they only allow CGC dogs (of any breed) over a certain size. This is another reason we are offering the free training to go alongside another huge propblem Austin is dealing with. That said, I did meet Matt Davidson, an Apartment Locator who said there is one building in all of Austin that allows pitties that is in a safe area (there is another, but it is not in a good area). So, if you need him, or know someone who does, contact him at 657-8676. If anyone uses him, please let me know how it works out.
A former member
Post #: 1
I can't tell you how many problems I've had trying to find a place to live with my pittie. Thanks for posting Matt's number!

I've lived mostly in houses in the last few years, and I know that some places don't allow certain breeds because their homeowner's insurance has a clause that holds them liable for attacks if the dog is a "dangerous" breed. I can understand their concern - they don't know if you're a good dog owner.
The idea of only allowing CGC dogs over a certain size is a really good one that would hopefully assuage some of their fears.
LydiaZ - you say "we've been trying to propose..." what is being done? How can I get involved?
Lydia
LydiaZ
Austin, TX
Post #: 90
Well, we are sort of implementing a multi-prong approach. One thing we are doing is the free training, which we hope will encourage our members to go ahead and get their CGC. We want to be able to present to the world just how great our dogs are--- that they are capable of being Canine Good Citizens. Second, one of our board members is working with another apartment locator to see if he can meet with some of the larger property managers to see if they would even be willing to accept CGC dogs. Now that we have become an official charitable organization, we have a whole bunch of things in the works....

As for the insurance claim of apartment owners, you should realize that is mainly an excuse. While it is true that some insurance companies don't cover pit bulls, many do, and if they are allowing them in and "closing their eyes," I can almost guarantee you they are insured for them because there is no way they would let themselves be in that situation.
Chea
Chea
Austin, TX
Post #: 6
I have no idea where to even start with this. I've contacted an apartment finder, and spoke to an extremely helpful woman. She sent me a bunch of places that had breed restrictions. I told her that I had two rescued dogs that look liked Am Staff/Boxer mixes. I HATE to lie about them, but I'm also trying to be realistic.

Anyway, I havent heard from her, but I'm going to call again when I get some kind of lead on a job.

I really hope I'll be able to find something. It's so hard understand how so many people can be so afraid of two dogs who are the biggest babies in the world.

I don't really care what kind of place it is, as long as it is in an OK location and I can have my dogs.
Tiffany
user 5633918
Leander, TX
Post #: 2
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person with this problem. When I got Harley my apartment complex didn't ask what breed he was, they only cared about his size & the deposit. At the time I was living at Hunter's Chase Apartments off Pond Springs Road (North Austin). Harley was about 3 months old then. As I was walking him one morning a neighbor noticed he looked pit. I said no, he's just a boxer mix. She told me I better watch myself because pits & boxers are both restricted breeds & I could be evicted if someone complained about me. I knew another tenant who had a pit bull so I wasn't very worried but to be on the safe side I decided it was time to buy a house.

I recently contacted an apartment locator out of curiousity (prompted by these messages). She told me she found a place in Round Rock that could take a pit bull but had specific things to consider... I had to be on the third floor apartment, my apartment had to be facing away from traffic/people, and my dog had to be "interviewed". When I called her back to find out the name of the complex she refused to tell me because she gets paid if I go out there with her. Unfortunately between my two jobs & Lucky Mutts I hadn't found the time to go out there but I did email her today asking if she could share more info about this "interview" process. I'll post whatever response I get from her. It's hard to get much info from a locator service since I'm not actually looking for an apartment. I can understand why... they get paid off referrals so I'm really just a waste of her time since I'm not moving but if I can get more details I'll be sure to post her info.
Lydia
LydiaZ
Austin, TX
Post #: 97
Well, do call Matt. I believe the fee is paid by the building so it is worth it.
Heather
user 7501087
Austin, TX
Hi all. I have called many apartment complexes in the Austin area over the last few months, and haven't found any that said that they would allow a pit bull. (Some did say that a German Shepherd was allowable). I have also contacted some apartment locators. Not surprisingly, none of them wanted to give me their proprietary information since I'm not in the market for an apartment.
I did speak to another locator today, and asked her how many pit-friendly properties she knows of. She said that there are two - one in North Austin and one in South Austin. I'm not sure if they are the same two properties that Matt found for Lydia.

The locator told me that I could give her name and cell phone out to the group. It is below.

Linda Threatt
Homeplace Market Search
512-663-9664
Brent
user 8812901
Austin, TX
My wife and I are in a complex now... I won't state the name.

We moved in, and they asked us to bring a picture of our dog for "acceptance" before we signed the lease. We brought in two pictures, and they said our dog could live there.

Now, someone has complained that our dog looks like a pit bull. The management has asked us to go to the vet and have the vet write a letter as to what breed the dog is. The manager told us that if the vet determines our dog has "pit bull" in it, the dog has to leave.

This is total crap.

Does anyone know a vet that is pit bull friendly and that can determine that our dog is truly not a "pit bull"?

Surely, there must be one on this board?
Jamie
user 8960752
Austin, TX
Yvette with Homeplace 512-507-0591 can find you an apartment down in South Austin starting $780 for a one-bedroom.
Amanda
user 9269235
Austin, TX
Just in case anyone was still looking for apartments that allow pits. Iron Rock Ranch on Slaughter does not have breed restrictions. Although they do require a pet "interview" or a letter from your regular vet stating that the dog is not aggressive. Also, of course, there is a non refundable pet fee and a refundable pet deposit.