A former member
Post #: 2
Anyone here know about Pet Pals? It's a group of dogs and owners that go to hospitals. Whiskey is perfect for this kind of activity but they do not carry the right insurance for Pits.... (yeah I know) so with that being said anyone know of another group? I would love to let her spend some time with terminally ill or abused ppl.. I just think it's unfair for us to enjoy her and not share. Let me know please She would be great at this kind of work and would love it!!!
Melonie M.
meanjellybean
Austin, TX
Post #: 24
I've never heard of Pet - Pals. I do have a group that is partnered with Animal Trustees of Austin and we go to schools and teach kids about dog safety and responsible pet ownership, I always take one of my pits. If your interested in that , let me know. Also, I have some ideas on how to deal with that kind of insurance so maybe you can work through it. This is an ideal job for a pit and this kind of work should definitely be encourage by pit owners. This is the kind of exposure that will change peoples minds about their reputation. I'm sure there are other groups besides Pet - Pals that do nursing homes and childrens homes, if not maybe we can make our own group?
A former member
Post #: 1
Making our own group would be fun! I would love to do it. I'm sure Dolly would love it too.
Melonie M.
meanjellybean
Austin, TX
Post #: 35
I've recently heard about a group of therapy dogs called Devine Canines. They require a CGC cert. to register.
A former member
Post #: 13
So how does a group get started ?This is definatly a good move. and could be suprising to nonpit owners.Hangtime wink
Melonie M.
meanjellybean
Austin, TX
Post #: 40
I haven't done to much research into starting up a group from scratch but joining another group is an option. Devine Canines works with Lee MAnnix Center whom I trust to fix all of my dog problems. I think the first thing for those of us who want to start into therapy work with our pits is get a Canine Good Citizen cert.