align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Love-A-Bull Pit Bull Meetup Message Board › What do you feed your pit?

What do you feed your pit?

A former member
Post #: 3
I've been feeding my dog Biljac along with one egg and a table spoon of cottage cheese every meal. The kennel I got it from told me to feed him eggs and lots of protein as a pup so he can build strong bones.

Anyone have any other suggestion?
Melonie M.
meanjellybean
Austin, TX
Post #: 68
Foods I recommend are Wellness, California Natural, Innova, Solid Gold, Natural Balance ( the only good one you can get at Petco) and Prairie. MOst of these have human grade meats and ingredients and brown rice or sweet potato as the carb source.

The saying “You are what you eat” can be applied to dogs, too - a dog is what he eats. YOU should place great emphasis on diet because what your dog eats affects his health, behavior, and response to training. Trainers have seen links between certain ingredients in dog food and behavior problems in dogs. Year after year, generation after generation, dog food manufacturers have used ingredients and fillers that we now know can cause allergies. When a dog is eating something on a regular basis that doesn’t agree with his system, the symptoms often manifest themselves as behavior issues such as hyperactivity, inattentiveness, timidness, even aggression. Manufacturers use certain, addictive ingredients so that if you change the food your dog won’t eat the new stuff (and therefore they sell more of their particular food, etc.). Treats are formulated with the same ingredients, also ensuring the dog will become addicted. By limiting, reducing, or avoiding all of these ingredients, your dog will be a happier, healthier dog.

The ingredients to avoid are: CORN, WHEAT, SOY, SUGAR, EGG, and DYES

Roots and fruits
A dog’s natural diet is mainly vegetable-based and they will scavenge for roots and fruits. In the wild, when dogs or wolves make a kill the first part of the carcass that they devour is the intestinal tract of the prey, usually a herbivore. This stomach area is full of roots, leaves, and berries. You may witness your dog eating grass which is an indication of that natural need. Adding fresh, cooked, or frozen vegetables or fruits to your dog’s diet stabilizes the digestive system and helps strengthen the gut so any changes in his diet (bugs, grass, other food) will have a lesser or no effect on your dog. A dog should be able to eat, digest, and pass anything organic he considers food. By feeding the same basic kibble, years after years, generation after generation, we have weakened the dogs digestive and immune systems. Change in your dog’s diet is good.
Try adding the following fruits and veggies to your dog’s diet: broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas,squash, tomatoes, berries, watermelon, apple, cantaloupe, bananas. (DO NOT feed your dog onions, apple seeds, grapes,mushrooms or raisins as these ARE TOXIC.)

Yoghurt should also be added daily to keep your dogs immune system strong. With just feeding a processed dog food your never putting back the natural bacterias and enzymes a dog needs to be healthy.
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for the info biggrin
Melonie M.
meanjellybean
Austin, TX
Post #: 70
ALSO -

Commercial, store brand dog foods!!
Recent studies show that many commercial pet foods may contribute to pet disease,allergies and behavior issues because of their poor nutritional value. But, by reading and understanding the labels, you can decide what is best for your pet.

Commercial pet food also can contain condemned parts of animals that are not fit for humans to eat. These foods may contain moldy or spoiled food that is full of carcinogens. Some pet commercial foods can contain dirt, rocks and even wood shavings.

And, just because the label says there are no preservatives, doesn't mean that its true. If the preservatives are in the food before the pet food manufacturer receives it, they can say it has no preservatives as long as they did not add it.

Try to avoid ingredients called BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) and BHT (butylated hydroxytolulene). These are both known to cause liver and kidney disease.

Also be aware of ingredients that have been listed more than once. For example, manufacturers can hide the fact that the main ingredient is sugar, if they split it by calling it high fructose and also corn syrup.

One of the best and natural diets for your dog is B.A.R.F(Bones And Raw Food) I combine it with an alternating mix of Wellness, California Natural, and Innova. Sometimes Natural Balance from Petco if I've run out and haven't had time to pick up my usual at Tomlinson's. PLease visit this link for more info on the BARF diet. http://www.rawlearnin...­ om/rawfaq.html

The differences you see when you change to a premium dog food is AMAZING!!! I once fed Iams and Science Diet thinking it was a great dog food. I was soooo wrong!!!
A former member
Post #: 6
I just switched his Biljac puppy food to Biljac big dog puppy food, his skin started going crazy. He started developing lots of hot spots on his skin. sad weirdd so I went to HEB and bought him Ballpark hotdogs and some whole food to feed him, until I can figure out what Dog food to get.
Melonie M.
meanjellybean
Austin, TX
Post #: 72
BilJac is a crappy food and pits have a tendency to get "Bully bumps" and have skin conditions in general so they can use whatever help you can give them. Where do live? If all you have is a
Petco near you them get him on Natural Balance or if they have it, Solid Gold. Those are the only two "good" dog foods you can get there. And there's not ANY good dog foods in the grocery store. You don't have to mix the two foods just switch him over. It should take around 3 - 4 weeks for his system to get rid of all the toxins he's built up from the bad food. BilJac has corn -(high allergin), loads of meat by- products - (all the stuff that humans don't eat), and beet pulp ( the by-product resulting from the extraction of simple sugars in the manufacture of table sugar, it's used as fiber for your dog) These are probably all culprits in your pups skin problems.

For a raw suggestion - try doing away with the hot dogs and go for raw chicken necks, raw backs and raw beef knuckle bones. Raw bones are ok and won't harm your dog because they are soft and pliable. Once you cook bones the harden and can splinter. Sweet potatos can be microwaved easily and dogs love 'em, canned pumpkin - not pie filling, green beans (canned, frozen or raw will work), cooked/raw squash, bananas, apples without the seeds and brown rice if you want, not white.

Last night my dogs got a handfull of blueberries, couple of spoonfulls of pumpkin, green beans, yoghurt, and a little bit of their California
Natural kibble, all mixed together. It was cheap and easy!

My recommendation would be to put him on California Natural, it does not need to be a puppy formula because it is so high quality. All it has is human grade meat (actual muscle meat not by-products or organs) , brown rice and sunflower oil and vitamins. There's nothing in it that your dog can have a reaction to.wink
A former member
Post #: 7
Thanks for all the Info you've been a great help. I've decided on Dick Van Pattens Duck and Potatoes.
I can get it at Petco.

Thanks Tyson is feeling much better now.
A former member
Post #: 3
Foods I recommend are Wellness, California Natural, Innova, Solid Gold, Natural Balance ( the only good one you can get at Petco) and Prairie. MOst of these have human grade meats and ingredients and brown rice or sweet potato as the carb source.

Wellness recently changed their formula. I alternated between Innova and Wellness, but the new Wellness formula caused all sorts of digestion problems for my dog. I've since switched to Solid Gold, and I don't plan on trying Wellness again. It's a shame they changed the formula, since they were probably the most recommended brand before the change.

Michael.
Melonie M.
meanjellybean
Austin, TX
Post #: 84
what was it that they changed?
Melonie M.
meanjellybean
Austin, TX
Post #: 95
Be sure to read all of the previous posts about diet. YOu want to add goats milk (not cow) to his diet everyday.And(or) get some of the mothers milk replacement at Petco and sprinkle that on top of his food.He needs to be eating 4 times a day. Keeping him on a premium diet as suggested above in previous posts will really help him grow properly.

Wellness makes a good vitamin supplement that I used on some pit pups who didn't have a mom. I used it once they were eating solid food. YOu can try that on top of your normal diet.