Love-A-Bull Pit Bull Meetup Message Board › Loose leash walking

Loose leash walking

A former member
Post #: 1
Does anyone have ANY tips on loose leash walking?? Blayde can sit, stay, lay down, high five, shake... but no matter how many obedience classes we go to, he will not pick up loose leash walking. Walking him is a chore, seeing as he doesn't weigh that much less than me! I am open to ANY tips!!
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Alaina,

Have you tried an Easy Walk harness? We just started obedience classes last week and, although my dog is doing well with the instructor's technique (the old "walk the other way when the dog gets in front of you" routine), he can't keep that focus for a 30 minute walk, so the instructor suggested getting an Easy Walk. It's been AMAZING. Almost embarrassingly easy. Almost so easy it makes me not want to practice the regular collar loose leash walking, but we do :-) In fairness, my dog is not a huge puller, but I've had a friend with a younger, larger pit mix that was WILD and the Easy Walk made a huge difference for her, too.

It may not be a full solution to the bigger training issue, but it does make walks much more enjoyable (NOT like a chore) until you can get there.

Good luck - hope this or someone else's suggestion helps.

Mindy
Chandra L.
user 9083605
Seattle, WA
Post #: 7
The gentle leader also helps if fitted properly. Some dogs won't keep it on.

I find that to avoid the pulling I need to be incredibly consistent with the rapid directional changes. I don't just about face. I turn left into him if he is about to get ahead of me. I zigzag. I walk in circles. I keep the leash very loose the whole time. I also praise him when he is in the right spot and paying attention. Basically this keeps Dex on his toes because he never knows where I'm going next. Often if I walk like a crazy person for the first few minutes of the walk, we can then walk normally with maybe a few about faces for the rest.

When I have the 2 dogs out, all I can do is stop in my tracks at the slightest pull. Again, this has been working, but only if I am very consistent.

Hope this helps, it's something I've always struggled with.
A former member
Post #: 3
PS The Gentle Leader is ok if you are looking for a quick solution but it takes a very long time for them to actually learn to stop pulling. The Easy Walk Harness by PREMIER, the same company, comes out the front of the chest so when they pull it turns them to the side therefore it teaches them to stop pulling much sooner. This is just some expert opinion from some really good trainers I know.

The gentle leader also helps if fitted properly. Some dogs won't keep it on.

I find that to avoid the pulling I need to be incredibly consistent with the rapid directional changes. I don't just about face. I turn left into him if he is about to get ahead of me. I zigzag. I walk in circles. I keep the leash very loose the whole time. I also praise him when he is in the right spot and paying attention. Basically this keeps Dex on his toes because he never knows where I'm going next. Often if I walk like a crazy person for the first few minutes of the walk, we can then walk normally with maybe a few about faces for the rest.

When I have the 2 dogs out, all I can do is stop in my tracks at the slightest pull. Again, this has been working, but only if I am very consistent.

Hope this helps, it's something I've always struggled with.

S.A.D. Dog Sushi L...
saddogsushi
Austin, TX
Post #: 202
I am 100% on board with the Easy Walk Harness. It is great. I have 5 dogs and it really makes leash walking so much less stressful for everyone...and super enjoyable! I am not a fan of prong collars and do not want my dogs to choke themselves and damage their fragile trachea with a regular lead. They just do not realize it while in the moment...even with all my training! When they see a deer (I live in Lago; they are in prey drive chase!) The Easy Walk Harness solves all of these problems.

Just do not leave it on while not in use-it is not like a regular collar in that sense. It just would not be too comfortable for them.

Alissa
A former member
Post #: 2
The other cool thing I'm finding about the Easy Walk, compared to the Gentle Leader halti or a prong or choke collar, in addition to the fact that it works really well, is that it doesn't convey the negative message that the others may. I'm not saying that one shouldn't use those if they work - I have used a choke before with great success and I know many people love the halti and prong collars. I am NOT against their use per se. And I know the halti isn't a muzzle and that the prong, when used correctly, can be an effective training tool. But much of the public doesn't know that. So I do love that the Easy Walk doesn't make my pit look like any scarier than people think he might be. With the Easy Walk, he just looks like the goofy dog that he is. :-)