addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Love-A-Bull Pit Bull Meetup Message Board › dealing with a handicaped dog

dealing with a handicaped dog

A former member
Post #: 1

i was just wondering if any one else has a handicaped dog...

My puppy coco got sick with distemper it got to her nervous sytem, i was told that i shoul put her down but i just couldnt, we've been treating her and last week the vet told me that her lungs sound better and that her paws are better too, the only thing is that the disease ate up all of her teeth. He told us shes got till july 4th if she makes till that day that she wont have to be put down, as long as shes eating. The only thing is shes going to be handicaped shes got this really bad twiching and has almost no strenght, some times she cant even get up from her bed. I carry her around all the time and i feed her with my hand every day. When she takes a bath she wont move she just lays their. We were told that shes not suffering and that shes not in pain, but its hard to COCO struggle to do everything that a normal dog would do in seconds.

I just want to know if any body has dealt with this kind of situation. How can i help her be happy?What shoul i do at the house to make her more safe and comfortable. Let me know

germanny
germanny
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Hi Maria:

I know exactly what you and CoCo are going through. I foster and train dogs for Austin Pets Alive. If you seen any of their signs about distemper, you would see a little pup on there named Toby. I adopted him after having nursed him through that terrible disease.

I would love to talk to you more about what Toby went through and what we did for him and how he's doing now. Why don't you contact me directly at apa@jengermann.com so I can give you my phone number. I have a lot of information about vitamins you can give, how we took care of Toby, how we decided it was time to humanely euthanize his brother (who had it very badly and was in enormous pain), and what we have to do for Toby now. If you want, we can even arrange a time for you to meet him so you can see how he's living with the after effects. We try to take him to APA's South Comgress and Gibson adoption site once a month so people can meet him and I talk to people about the importance of vaccinating their pets. A $20 vaccination would have saved both Toby and CoCo a lot of pain and suffering.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to. I look forward to hearing from you!