Our FIFTH (okay, this will be the last year I number it) annual holiday party will be Sunday, 12/1 at 11am. The location will be Doty Park in Summerville. For those unfamiliar with this location, there is an enclosed playground, lots of tennis courts, some green space, but most importantly we'll have access to and exclusive use of the climate-controlled building. And there are of course real bathrooms.
Doty Park is at 320 N Laurel Street. It is at the intersection of NORTH Laurel and WEST 4th. It's also right next to the Faith Sellers Senior Center, if that helps.
What: Cookie Holiday Party
When: 12/1 at 11am
Where: Doty Park, 320 N Laurel St,
Who: Especially FOR FAMILIES, though everyone is welcome (the annual solstice potluck on 12/15 is a great time for adults, but isn't especially kid friendly)
Okay! So what is this holiday party? Besides being a time to have fun and enjoy each other's company, we share a potluck-style lunch (so be thinking 'bout what you want to bring!) and we have a cookie exchange/competition.
The cookie exchange and competition is optional but lots of fun. Here's how it works. Each participating family makes a batch of their very bestest cookies and brings them to the party. Each batch of cookies will then be divided among the other participating families. So, you come with a batch of cookies and leave with the equivalent of a batch of cookies, but instead of one kind, you have lots of different delicious cookies. Make sense? If not, please ask. The rules for the cookie exchange are at the bottom of this message. So that's the exchange part. The competition part is straightforward. We will choose impartial judges who will choose the best tasting cookie as well as the best looking cookie. Prizes will be awarded, not the least of which is the glory associated with being Prized Cookiemaker. :)
If you're interested in coming (and I know you are!), please RSVP with the number of people, including children, who will be attending. Drinks and paperware will be provided so a fairly accurate headcount is helpful. We will not have a database this year for the list of potluck dishes or cookies, but if you know what you're bringing, please list it in the comments section.
Finally, there is a possibility that we will have some holiday crafts for the kids to make, but this hasn't been ironed out, so no guarantees here.
Okay, here are the rules for the cookie exchange. If you're not interesting in participating, you don't need to read any further. You're free! :)
1. All cookies must be homemade. This means from scratch, not just home baked. :)
2. What is a cookie? Great question! For the cookie exchange, any cookie-ish delectable is okay. So fudge, brittle, brownies - they're all fine. The competition will be divided into cookies and non-cookies.
3. What is a batch? Use your judgement here. Yields will vary from batch to batch, so aim for at least 3 cookies per other participating family. I think probably 3 dozen cookies will be sufficient.
4. *puts on Scrooge hat* The cookies for the exchange are for participants only. If you'd like to share your cookies during the potluck meal with non-participants, you might want to make a few extra. lol!
5. There will be 3 prizes awarded this year. In addition to Best Tasting Cookie and Best Looking Cookie (both of which are for real "cookies" only), we will have Best Non-Cookie (fudge, brittle, brownies, etc.). Judges will be selected at random from men, women, and kids.
Questions? Email me at [masked] or call/text me at 291-8248.