addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Libertarians Message Board › While Congress continues to discuss the debt ceiling...

While Congress continues to discuss the debt ceiling...

Eva K.
all4thinking
Louisville, CO
Post #: 5
The House passed a bill to force Congess to balance the budget; the discussions in the Senate start on Sat., although there's a push to do it sooner. Here's the question: what SHOULD government be paying for?? The bipolar set has framed the discussion as a battle between evil republicans trying to give corporations more breaks vs. evil democrats spending willy-nilly with no ability to cut up the credit cards, On the plus side of the discussion it's the heroic republicans trying to save the future for our children and grandchildren who would otherwise have 46,000 of debt of their back the minute they are born, vs. the heroic democrats trying to keep the evil republicans from completely dismantling social security and all other entitlements, and throwing us back to the dark days of the early 60s.

Truth be told, BOTH parties have spent a lot of money on a lot of other things, particularly things designed to help centralize power, and to serve the interests that give them their campaign funds. There's LOTS of wiggle room for getting the budget cut down (lets say for starters not letting bills go through that benefit any interest that donated more than $100 to any campaign in an election year -- that alone would make a difference), so putting it in these terms, is at the least disingenuous, but it's probably closer to the big fat lie (on both sides). Let's really talk about what was spent on stupid things and why. Otherwise it's just a reprise of the old spy-vs-spy cartoons in Mad Magazine.

Of course, that's to our Libertarian benefit, because anyone watching the proceedings would swear both parties were working from scripts and couldn't come up with an original sentence if their lives depended on it. At the very least, it will help more folks make the leap to unaffiliated, disgusted with their party's inability to do any creative thinking or come up with anything but accusations instead of solutions. The cut cap and whatever bill is the closest anyone's come to a real piece of legislation, but still the reps won't respond to the claims that this amendment to the constitution will benefit big business - they keep talking about people balancing home budgets at the dinner table. They'll get a LOT more respect if they come right out and say why the amendment is structured the way it is. My guess is if it really did benefit big business, most of our elected officials would not be against it -- they all get money from the same spigot -- only if it kicks their big spender campaign funders in the teeth do they oppose anything.

So, if you don't have money to go out to get your entertainment on Saturday, check out cspan, and watch the fireworks. It should be interesting.
Christine H.
user 11536303
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
Hey Eva,

I like your question, "what should government be paying for?" In my opinion, the federal government should pay for national defense, which includes neither nation building nor playing "world cop." The government should protect individual rights and liberties rather than abridge them and whittle them down. I wouldn't even mind if the government paid for those infamous "roads" if it agreed to cease-and-desist many of its illegitimate activities. I'm sure I could think of a few more legitimate functions of the federal government (maybe?), but I wanted to shoot out a short reply in hopes of getting this discussion going! Thanks for the great topic and question!

Christine