add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Colorado Libertarians Message Board › Is Libertarianism a Sign of Mental Illness?

Is Libertarianism a Sign of Mental Illness?

A former member
Post #: 358
CATO reports on Harvard Law School conference and wonders
whether this belongs in the comic-relief category or the future-threats category

My experience of living in totalitarian state tells me to take this as future-threats category.
A former member
Post #: 6
Hypomania = Libertarianism­

Is this you? I know it is me.
Many have cited it as a gateway to their success, and a large number of people with creative talents have experienced hypomania or other symptoms of bipolar disorder. Classic symptoms of hypomania include mild euphoria, a flood of ideas, endless energy, and a desire and drive for success. Unlike a lot of other mood disorders, people suffering from hypomania tend to be extremely goal oriented and many successful people have credited bipolar disorder in their successes.

Honoré de Balzac, French author of the Human Comedy, is attributed with having hypomania. His writing sessions continued from midnight to noon, functioning on four hours of sleep. Intermittently during these episodes, Balzac would consume massive amounts of coffee. However, it is far from apparent whether these are based on psychiatric diagnosis, as bipolar symptoms are frequently misunderstood, misattributed and glamorized in popular culture.

Various shrink friends have said that this is probably me. A few have suggested "treatment", but also thought that it would curb my creativity, especially in research and writing. After they met some of my Libertarian friends they've wondered if perhaps they were mistaken, or maybe it is a mass malady?

Would we be less hypomanic if we had less government?

Hair Trigger
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi there Trigger,

Well, one thing is for sure, I drink a lot of coffee. I frequently function on very little sleep and during these times feel a desire to stay awake because I can accomplish more, or simply think I am accomplishing more so I feel the need to stay awake. I am a Libertarian. Does this mean all Libertarians are beautifully creative, energetic, successful, realistic, and goal oriented people (hypomanic)? I think so. I am not sure if I would be less hypomanic, if I am, with less government. Definitely less paranoid about our country's future. Seems to me like we need hypomanic people in this world to bring forth progressive ideas into our lives.

A former member
Post #: 9
Hi Robyn,

Methinks that the treatment for hypomania is involvement in action. I tend to believe that we hypomanics get more manic when we just talk (or write) about things that tear at our collective souls. The mania diminishes as we become involved in real action.

I feel pretty good after working a booth at a fair or festival, but I haven't done it in a while, because Bush II was making everyone manic. Even Republicans.
I found my personal chi in working in elections reforms. The hypomanics got stuff done. Few people are voting with computers and more voters became informed well enough to know that the Help America Vote Act (HB3295) was in fact a plot to deny voters access to elections. The next step is to remove computers entirely and have humans count ballots, as they do in most other countries -- probably by hypomanics wink

A former member
Post #: 13
I've found the CURE for libertarianism (another schism)­