align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Colorado Libertarians Message Board › Please take discussions to the message boards

Please take discussions to the message boards

A former member
Group emails on the global warming discussion need to be turned into a discussion on the Message Boards. I have taken the liberty (pun intended) of starting the discussion board with this topic.

Please contact me with any questions, comments or concerns. Otherwise, write away .. on the message boards.

Best Regards,

Ken Wyble
303-522-5698

PS. The Libertarian Open House on Thursday evening will also feature a birthday celebration for Jeff Orrok! Come on down to Darcy's!
A former member
Post #: 79
For the discussion of the Global Warming, please refer to the original LP poll here. http://announce.lp.or...­

Thanks.
Buck B.
user 8223708
Aurora, CO
Post #: 1
Because the Earth is one big equilibrium seeking system with a huge number of variables and processes always in action there is always "climate change" happening. There is little doubt (in my mind) that atmospheric CO2 has increased. There are also variations in the amount of energy being input to the Earth from the Sun. In the whole discussion, there seems to be very little understanding that the Le Chatlier-Braun principle ("Any change in status quo prompts an opposing reaction in the responding system" (http://en.wikipedia.o...­'s_principle)) makes the computer modeling extrapolations of past data into the future extremely unreliable. For instance, last Sunday's Denver Post (pg 30A) has an article about "Aspens growing larger thanks to carbon dioxide." More CO2 gives more plant growth which in turn will tend to stabilize further increases in CO2.

"What does it mean?" and "Is it good or bad?" are highly subjective discussions of various human opinions. Personally, I don't think it is governmental business to "control the environment."
Jack W.
user 8530062
Golden, CO
Post #: 2
It's obvious that mankind is changing the climate. Mankind is changing the oceans, and the oceans are the heat engines of the climate.

Despite all the political trappings of the global warming movement, despite other contributing factors to climate change, the generalized, planet-wide phenomenon of man-caused climate change is well-understood and scientifically indisputable.

Those who express disbelief of mankind having a causal role in climate change are today in 2009 in much the same position as those in the 1500's who denied that the Earth orbits the Sun.

Jack W.
user 8530062
Golden, CO
Post #: 3
My main concern in posting here, however, is not to debate the scientific issues.

I'm just trying to figure out if the Libertarian Party, constantly flirting with a Tancredo-like fascist-populist stance, is now flirting with becoming the Real Fun Beer Party of the Scienfically Illiterate.

I'm getting more than a little teed off, but you could tell that alreadysmile
Eva K.
all4thinking
Louisville, CO
Post #: 2
I think if we want a thread on climate change, it should say climate change, so I'll be obnoxious and start a new thread with that header. That way folks that check us out for the first time will find that as a topic rather than "take it to the message board"

-Eva
A former member
Post #: 17
As I read this 72% of the Libertarians believe global warming is man made?

When I was in school during the 70's we were taught - "prepare for the next ice age".

Our earth has a approximately 70 - 90 year cycle according to the past farmers almanac.

The hole in the ozone area during the late 80's and early 90's was proven to be false. The UARS (Upper Atmospheric Research Satellite) gave evidence of this. That is why we don't hear of it any more. (By the way it was shown that the major contributor to the atmospheric gases was not carbon dioxide. It was methane gas. Number one contributor for methane in the atmosphere was and still is rice patties.)

I will not believe if the ice caps melt (Which is true in some areas not true in others. They are actually getting thicker in some areas.) our earth will suffer droughts, etc... Makes no logical sense. Wouldn't this put more water in the water cycle. Thus more clouds and rain will surround our wonderful earth, thus natural cooling of the earth.

Now all signs show that the earth is starting to get cooler. That is why they changed the name to climate change. The 70 - 90 year cycle is right on schedule.

And to be honest, until someone can scientifically prove that man is the cause of the end of the last ice age, I will continue to see all - ozone hole, global warming, ice age, climate change, and what ever is thought of next, as propaganda.

I do not believe the all powerful man can change the world's atmosphere as a whole. Not temporary or permanent.

This is why I am shocked at this statement. Only 28% of the Libertarians believe global warming is a hoax?

28% (1785 votes) This whole global warming thing is a hoax.

Thanks, that mathematically puts a lower limit of 28% on the percentage of the LP who are scientifically clueless.

Jack W.
user 8530062
Golden, CO
Post #: 4
As I read this 72% of the Libertarians believe global warming is man made?

Or think that humankind contributes to climate change.

The hole in the ozone area during the late 80's and early 90's was proven to be false. The UARS (Upper Atmospheric Research Satellite) gave evidence of this.

Nonsense. Here's what NASA says: "In its first two weeks of operation, UARS data confirmed the polar ozone-depletion theories by providing three-dimensional maps of ozone and chlorine monoxide near the South Pole during development of the 1991 ozone hole."

That is why we don't hear of it any more.

Only because the voices in the heads of climate change deniers are louder than the voice of science.

I will not believe if the ice caps melt

E pur si muove, Your Holiness.
A former member
Post #: 20
The first two weeks!!!!!

"In its first two weeks of operation,...."

Read the results after the whole project was completed. The ozone is an ever expanding and shrinking process. It does not stand still, or only grow. The hole in the ozone constantly changing.

I will admit that the heavy use of freon during the last century had a huge temporary impact on our earth.
Jack W.
user 8530062
Golden, CO
Post #: 8
The link is to the results after the whole project was completed. You're talking nonsense. Enough.