align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Madison Skeptics Message Board Madison Skeptics Discussion Forum › Meetup Skeptics Page needs a new sponsor

Meetup Skeptics Page needs a new sponsor

John R.
user 8614802
Madison, WI
Hi all,

There are 217 members of the Madison Skeptics Meetup Group. The founding member, Jennifer Bunner, has been paying for the Meetup site since its birth nearly three years ago, until she recently stepped down. This is not cheap (~$12 per month). I had no idea until this morning that there was a fee involved in keeping the Meetup page going.

Unless someone steps up to take over the Meetup Group, it will cease to exist after December 21st. This leaves us with a couple of possible directions:

1. Someone volunteers to take over the Meetup page fees.

2. Switch to Facebook or another social media for organization (Skeptics already has a Facebook Page): http://www.facebook.c...­

3. Switch to our own website (Skeptics already has a domain): http://skeptics.madis...­

Whichever we choose, we need somebody to anchor and lead the group by managing information about events, get-togethers and activism.

Madison Skeptics has been a great grass-roots organization for the past three years, but it might be at a crossroads now where it needs some new leadership and direction. While I'm a willing footsoldier, I don't have the time or inclination to be that leader.

Respond to the group with your thoughts or ideas.

-John
Henry S.
HenrySteinberger
Madison, WI
Post #: 4
217 members and no volunteers. $144 a year is a big chunk of change, but if everyone who can afford it sent in a dollar, it would be no problem. And this site has history and exposure in the Meet Up community - hence the 217 'members'.

Would Jennifer be willing to accept donations and use them to pay the fee? Perhaps she could reimburse herself from those donations for the past expense (I'd be OK with that - I'd willingly donate $12 a year and then we only need 12 of us willing to donate).

As to someone to take charge, assume responsibility, I'm not volunteering to take it on alone - but a working committee would make sense. Who would like to donate a little time?
Alfonso Flores V
Alfonso_Flores_V
Madison, WI
Post #: 4
Jennifer was badass to pay the fees up to this point, and I, after e-mailing with John, decided to step into that vacated position. So, Verusono is ponying up the dough for the Meetup site, and I have become the "organizer." What I believe is more important than figuring out where some money's coming from is members coming up with fun, educational and entertaining things for us to do!

The format of this site is not changing. All members can suggest meetups, and those meetups will be posted to the group if 3 or more people sign on. If you're new to this process, here's how it goes:
1) You suggest a meetup
2) You contact at least 2 people, who then RSVP "I'm Going"
3) The event you suggested is automatically announced to the whole group (+200 members)

Cool, huh?

Over the next couple months I think we'll get Meetup.com and Facebook and Skeptics.Madison.WI (and Twitter?) in sync