addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
wayne b.
York, ME
Post #: 14
I've been thinking about adding a clump of bamboo, partly for a visual screen but mainly for a supply of stakes that I can use in and around the garden.

I'm in zone 5b/6a. Will either nuda or Yellow Groove work for that purpose, or is there a better choice?

Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 342
Wayne, I imagine if I'm getting good growth with nuda north of you in Acton and Lisa is getting some good growth with yellow groove near the coast, that you should be able to get similar results in York. Your winters are probably warmer than mine, though my summers are hotter.

One Green World also lists Blue Fountain (Fargesia nitida) as hardy to -20F and as good for garden stakes (ht. 10').
Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,166
One thing I have noticed is that Yellow Groove is doing pretty well in the cold BUT not when exposed to heavy winds (wind chill?). That little bit more pressure seems to be a problem that causes die-back. FYI for planning purposes.
wayne b.
York, ME
Post #: 15
Ah, thanks. I don't think we went below zero F last winter, but it can be very windy here, so that will factor into where I locate any bamboo.

Thanks for the info.