add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 51
Porcupines are a serious threat to the young trees in my orchard, and being in the middle of 1000's acres of woods, there's a good population of them around. They are like beavers that climb, and they really like to chew on my plum, pear and apple trees; nipping through branches and limbs to get at the tender leaves at the tips, they've decapitated trees and set back the growth by years! Grrr......and there's not even any fruit on most of these yet!
With the right sized havahart traps going for $85+, I decided to whip up my own based on instructions from ye olde Foxfire(How to build a rabbit box) and these instructions here:­

I changed the dimensions of the box to 12" tall and wide, and 30" long so it could fit some of the whoppers we've got around here.
That's why I keep the basement stocked with wood scraps.