add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Source for organic compost/loam?

Source for organic compost/loam?

Ted M.
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 28
Good points, Dave.

I guess we're all potentially coming to permaculture from different angles. I live in a suburban area with a conventional (smallish) yard and limited resources. While I have access to some ingredients (leaves), my ability to accumulate others is limited and takes a long time. My soil is sandy and depleted, hence my need for a quicker shot of ready-made compost. I expect (hope) to be able to create a nice humusy soil within the next couple of years through sheet mulching, with externals tapering off each year.

I still may get the Winterwood compost, since I have few alternatives in my area (there are some local compost dealers who collect materials from the town for their compost - who knows what's in that!). Along with patience, I guess compromise is also called for.
Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 323
I was talking to Carol Ann Jordan (Jordans Farm in Cape) last night. They open Monday for compost, bales of straw, etc. The straw does come from Canada. But last year they also got a "crop" of straw from Maxwell's who had done some oat straw plots right here in town. Same price either way.
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 94
Lori, last spring/summer we got 15 yards or more of compost from Ossipee Trail Garden Center for the front/side lawn to orchard. I believe it's Benson's Farm compost which Ossipee Trail Garden Center sells for them. Tom & Lee had given me the info. We also got Surf 'N Turf Compost & Shellfish compost that David Homa had told me about. We got some in bags but it's also available loose. I plan to get some of it loose this year.

Hope this helps.