addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Started Eating Strawberries on June 13th

Started Eating Strawberries on June 13th

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 446
The small hillside that we swaled and planted to strawberries in 2006 is going absolutely mental. Dave is convinced we'll have hundreds of pounds of fruit:) Anyway, they're ripening already and we had our first delicious ones on Friday. About 10 days early by my calendar. Sue McCormick said her fruit is in also. Fluke? Global warming?
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 35
Yum...Nothing like the first home grown strawberry of the season

Perhaps they ripened sooner because we have had a really warm spring.
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 304
mine are coming in nicely as well!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 189
My strawberries grown from Hannaford trimmings have been coming for a while. They are growing quite well. Cultivars! Ugh! If picked too early they have very little flavor like those from the store. You have to wait till they are ultra ripe to the point where you are sharing with the slugs. Then the flavor is about a 7.

Maybe they will cross pollinate with the tasty small wild ones. It may give a tastier larger berry. Then again, genetics being what it is, you may get a small tasteless berry. It's a crapshoot.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 201
Lisa I remember your saying and I read that removing the blossoms encourages stronger root growth, -- for 2 years, if I'm correct.

But when I mentioned this to Aaron during our open house show and tell last Saturday he said no, one needs to only remove blossoms for a few months, not 2 years!

Aaron -- are you there? Could you explain (better than I trying to repeat your words) why you said that?

I've been removing blossoms from our recently planted Sparkle Strawberries but would love to hear confirmation of Aaron's view!

Elaine
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 449
Elaine - we planted our strawberry plants in May 2006 and pulled off the blossoms that first year. In 2007 we got an incredible crop of straberries and this year is going to be over the top.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 207
Sounds as if even if a 2 month fasting is possible your experience is proving the wisdom of the all-season-pull-off-blossoms advice. We're willing to forfeit the pleasure this year Lisa. I'm glad to know it's not 2 years! We can handle 1! Merci!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 451
You're welcome. Our daily harvest of strawberries is growing exponentially now. I expect to be delivering "surplus" quarts to the neighbors within a week or 10 days time. Esp the neighbor who gave us the horse poop for the strawberry beds:).
Donanne D.
user 7366070
Portland, ME
Post #: 5
We ususually get a small cooler full of berries a day but this year is less because I transplanted so many plants out of the garden. I did pick enough to freeze some yesterday and the girls and I had sore teeth from eating so many. I have never heard of taking off the blossoms and I don't even fertalize them. They grow like weeds and produce huge red berries at the beggining of the season and then taper off to make more smaller berries near the end of the season. I am planning on putting wild strawberries on the lawn to spread as well. There are amazing wild strawberries up at sugarloaf. They get cooked by the sun on the ski slopes and taste like they are sugar coated. We started getting red berries about a week ago. Ours always seem to come early but don't last as long as Maxwell farms growing season. We also have apples and pears and blueberries for the first time that will be ready later in the season. Our raspberries are making more berries then ever this year as well. I just lovev being in the garden.
Donanne
A former member
Post #: 87
Elaine,
As far as I understand it, the first year, everbearing strawberries need to have their blossoms pinched off for about the first six weeks while June bearing strawberries need to have their blossoms pinched for the entire first year. The Fedco catalog gave such a delicious description of June bearing 'Sparkle' that I ordered them instead of the everbearings that I had decided I'd plant exclusively from now on. Oh well, so now I have to wait too!

Winnie