addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 50
I had 6 or 7 quarts of strawberries from a very small patch I barely got 1 quart. My rhubarb patch is expanding nicely. I transplanted what I thought was one small plant from where I was stepping on it, turned out to be 5 crowns, which are going to be a huge patch next year! I planted 5 donated raspberry bushes which I have high hopes for next year. In the same vein, I planted two apple, an asian pear, and a fig in a pot. All grew well. I planted many varieties of tomatoes which had a very bad year. If the summer had been longer they might have done fairly well. Too much rain at once interspersed with the dry spells was not the right thing for them. Got a fairly good crop of Thai hot peppers, the cascabel are just starting to come in. Only 2 green peppers, which came too late to ripen.
I did a small 3 sisters garden also. A 7' circle. The corn did not grow fast enough to support the beans so I had to stake them. The squash got a late start because of the weather, so did not get a great crop. The beans were so-so. Mustard came up on its own this spring and was great. swiss chard was great, what came up. Got a good crop of tat tsoi which I ended up having to cover after a woodchuck moved in and ate all my broccoli and most of my kale. He also decimated my soybeans. Now he's working on my sqaush plants when he's not purloining a tomato here and there. My garlic was a very good crop, growing much bigger than last year which was my first ever crop. Parsley and basil did excellently, as well as the thyme, oregano and sage which have established themselves. Wonderful crop of Egyptian onions which were earlier than the chives. I planted potato onions which cropped very small, then read about them in the Perennial Vegetables book. He said to plant small sets for a big crop and big sets for small ones to replant. So I'm saving the small ones. Garlic chive was beautiful as usual and bountiful. I got a small crop of potatoes, have to keep experimenting where to put them to get a better crop. I think it just might be I need deeper soil. I experimented with some sweet potatoes in pots, as I had run out of ground space in my small yard. I've gotten a few small ones and one regular sized one so far in the pots I've harvested. I started eating the greens when I got Eric Toensmeier's book. They are dleicious! A spinachy taste, but I like the flavor better. Next year I will plant them in the ground and hope for a more abundant crop of both the tubers and the leaves. I have a wonderful crop of ground cherries starting to really come now. Hopefully the frost will keep holding off. The ground cherries are also excellent at reseeding themselves. I planted some sorrell late and am hoping to winter it over. The birds loved the sunflowers, both the ones I planted and the ones that volunteered. Here's hoping for a fruitful next year!