add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Anounceing Edgewood Nursery: Useful Perennials, Woody Plants and Houseplants.

Anounceing Edgewood Nursery: Useful Perennials, Woody Plants and Houseplants.

Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 182
For a few years I've been wanting to start a small plant nursery, and this year i've decided to dive in! For the first year the number of plants and selection will be very limited, but if all goes well i will certainly scale it up next year. If there are plants of interest to you please let me know and i can try and obtain some and work on propagation. I will be selling direct to consumer as well as through the portland food coop. I'll keep you all posted on my progress and in the mean time i'd love hear about what plants you would like to be able to purchase.

Here is what i would like to have available by late may:
*A website biggrin
*Bee Balm
*St. Johns Wort
*Comfrey "bocking 14"
*Mouse Garlic
*Walking Onions
*Lemon Balm
House Plants:
*Salvia divinorum
*Mother of thousands
Gorham, ME
Post #: 14
Congrats Aaron! I'm planning out a perennial garden and would love to get some of my plants from you if possible. I'm also part of the PFC so I'll say hi if I see you there.
Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,112
Congratulations Aaron, this is great!

I would also love to see these when it's possible or practical for you...
Sea Kale
Turkish Rocket
Good King Henry
Water Celery
Siberian Pea Shrub
Birdsfoot Trefoil

I realize I have a million requests and should slow downsmile
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 183

Sea Kale - Hopefully mine will set viable seed this year
Turkish Rocket - I need to get this one going myself
Good King Henry - I will save seeds from this year and have plants available next year.
Water Celery - Available this year
Siberian Pea Shrub - Hopefully mine will set viable seed this year
Goji - I have yet to find a set of genetics that are hardy in this climate.
Goumi - I'm looking for good clonal cultivars to propagate from.
Birdsfoot Trefoil - I'm going to try it out this year
Partridgeberry - Available on trial basis this year.
David S.
Washington, ME
Post #: 860
I don't know much about goji hardiness but some say they survive in zone 5. I have a whole buch of goji sprouts now. I didn't know if it would work or not to sprout berries from the store. Just a hacking around experiment.

I treated them like blueberries. I stratified them in the freezer over the winter. I put them in the blender with water to separate and scarify the seeds. I acidified them with lemon juice for a few minutes. I planted them all in one pot.

Geez.... it worked better than expected and now I have way too many sprouts in this one pot. Way over a hundred. I will try to separate them when they get larger.

Do these grow fast?

Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,114
I've seen goji doing well in western ma. and in the mid hudson valley. makes me think that at least where i am (offically zone 5b = i'm having success with some 6 varieties) i would get some going and maybe give them a little winter protection for a few years until the virginia climate catches up with us ;)

aaron, did you do your hablitzia from seed?

i saw jack kartesz over the weekend and he gave us some of the wild cerery and some chickendive (chicory x endive). fun stuff.
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 318
I had some goji make it through last winter, but then they died this winter??? I blame myself as I didn't treat them as well as a zone pushed plant should be treated...try, try again.

Excited for you Aaron! If there's anything you need give a shout.
Nicky A.
user 11391029
Portland, ME
Post #: 8
How exciting for you! It's one of my dreams too....after herbalist certification, pre-school teacher certification, elderberry farm....oh you get the picture. We're just starting out so many of your available plants would be useful to us. Now if only I was closer to the Portland area......

Good luck!
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 319
Opps, I of my gojis is starting to push out leaves now. Fingers crossed for the others.
Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,118
Sort of a non sequiter, but this is the first year I've had parsley winter over with absolutely no mulch or protection. Zone pushing indeed.