The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Anounceing Edgewood Nursery: Useful Perennials, Woody Plants and Houseplants.

Anounceing Edgewood Nursery: Useful Perennials, Woody Plants and Houseplants.

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,118
Sort of a non sequiter, but this is the first year I've had parsley winter over with absolutely no mulch or protection. Zone pushing indeed.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 861
Am I missing something? Why birdsfoot trefoil? I realize it is a legume with some animal feed value but what makes it better than clover? As a non native and often invasive plant that could displace clover it seems to me that it's value is questionable. Clover makes honey and has high value to many insect species. Why? I pulled it up in my yard last year.

David Spahr
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,119
David, are you working with native clovers? If so, I'd love to find out which ones. I've only been able to find or establish the non-native clovers like white, red, etc. introduced from Europe way back...

I wouldn't say birdsfoot trefoil is better than clover, its just a different choice and it's not overly opportunistic from my experience. In some cases I like the way it clumps and mats to create a nice dense ground cover (especially the prostrate variety). Otherwise the taller fodder version will grow to a foot or so which is great for chop and drop mulch or backyard chicken fodder, etc. Plus you get the benefits of clover.

But I do love clovers and plant them alot.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 862
I don't plant any clover. Yes, it's true most clovers in USA are not native but have become naturalized here. That said their value as a nitrogen fixer and esp. as a nectar plant are well known. I will say that birdsfoot is a pretty flower but I don't think it has the nectar value. Also, with any introduced plant/cultivar/invasive etc. it has to be displacing something to exist.

David
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,121
Also, with any introduced plant/cultivar/invasive etc. it has to be displacing something to exist

or filling a gap created by previous disturbance or intervention;)