addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Portland Community Supported Fishery Meeting July 24

Portland Community Supported Fishery Meeting July 24

Lisa F.
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,182
Dear Friends,

I was approached by a young fishing couple from Portland who are interested in starting a local CSF (Comm. Supp. Fishery), particularly engaging communities of faith in this endeavor. To help them launch their idea, I have scheduled an information meeting for Tuesday, July 24, at 7pm at Immanuel-Willston West Church at 156 High Street in Portland. There should be ample parking in the lot behind the church. We will meet in the parlor which is to the right as you enter the church through the rear door just off the parking lot.

One of the unique aspects of Marty Odlin and Justine Simon's concept is that they plan to feature seafood that is currently abundant in the sea and not presented on Maine tables. You may have read that the Gulf of Maine Research Institute is working with local restaurants to feature some of these same seafoods over the next few months. Marty grew up in Cape Elizabeth, worshipped at the Catholic Church there, and is related to many of the local fishermen and seafood harvesters. His wife Justine has worked on environmental concerns and national local foods endeavors.

For those of you who may not be familiar with CSFs, they work much like their farm cousins, Community Supported Agriculture projects, in which consumers buy a share in the harvest produced by a local farmer. Producer and consumer get to know each other, consumers know that the products are local and fresh, and the producer has a reliable market and source of income. This gets all of us back to the land and sea and in closer touch with our farming/fishing neighbors and the environments in which they work and bring us food for our tables.

Please let me know if you are able to attend. I encourage you to invite others who may be interested. The plan is to have regular deliveries of ordered seafood to area sites, many of them houses of worship, with the program starting later this summer and building through the fall as word spreads. Either RSVP by email or call me with questions at 380-5387. We'd like to have an idea of how many can attend so that we'll be sure to have ample information to hand out and for you to take back to your congregation/community.

Hope you are having a wonderful summer.

Best wishes,

Anne D. (Andy) Burt
Environmental Justice Consultant
Maine Council of Churches
Food & Faith Program: Fishes and Loaves Project